Somali Army dislodges Al-Shabab strongholds in central region
The Somali National Army (SNA) said its forces took over several bases which were under al-Shabab areas during early Wednesday operations in Galgaduud, in the central part of Somalia.
The SNA Infantry commander, Mohamed Tahlil Bihi, said the 21st Division of SNA captured new bases in areas that used to be al-Shabab strongholds and inflicted heavy casualties on the militants.
“The bases were completely destroyed and terrorists suffered huge casualties,” Mr Tahlil told the state-owned Somalia National Television in Mogadishu.
The latest move comes after the SNA liberated Sinadhaqqo and Labi Dulle areas during operations conducted last week in Galgaduud in which dozens of terrorists were killed and weapons recovered.
Mr Tahlil said the extremists were planning to carry out terror attacks in those regions, vowing that the troops would intensify operations against al-Shabab extremists in southern and central regions to liberate more regions.
The al-Shabab was routed from Mogadishu in 2011 by the 22,000-strong African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and has had to abandon most of its strongholds, but it still controls vast rural areas and remains the key threat to peace in Somalia and also carries out attacks in neighbouring Kenya.
More from Peoples Gazette
While Governor Seyi Makinde supports Mr Arapaja for the chairmanship, Ayo Fayose, a former Ekiti governor, supports Mr Olafeso.
Nigerian politicians are notorious for giving handouts, popularised as ‘stomach infrastructure’ by ex-Governor Ayo Fayose, to would-be voters before and during an election period.
“This is an electoral failure, but not a political or moral defeat,” he told supporters outside his home late Sunday.
Prof Adeyeye explained that the agency’s pharmacovigilance directorate sent an alert to its 36 state offices to mount surveillance on unregistered products.