South Korean president condemned for banning journalists from plane

President of South Korea, Yoon Suk Yeol, has been criticized for attacking press freedom following the ban of the MBC TV crew from the country’s presidential plane press pool.
Mr Yoon’s office accused the MBC of “repeated distortion and biased reporting” on diplomatic issues, an action the president claims undermines the country’s diplomatic relationship with the United States.
Mr Yoon met with President Joe Biden in September.
Following the meeting, he said that MBC aired a video clip that wrongly suggested the president was disparaging members of the US Congress, harming both countries’ partnership.
As a result, his office stated that it would not provide “reporting assistance” to the MBC broadcaster during his planned trips to Cambodia and Indonesia for meetings of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the Group of 20 leading rich and developing countries.
The MBC, however, stated that it would independently send its correspondents on commercial planes to cover Mr Yoon’s trip for the “preservation of the public’s right to know.”
The media house is backed by a coalition of journalists from the Journalists Association of Korea and the National Union of Media Workers.
The coalition demanded that the presidency reverse the “unconstitutional and ahistorical restriction on reporting,” asking the officials behind the ban to resign.
“The presidential plane is operated with taxpayer money, and each media outlet pays with their own money to cover the reporting costs,” the groups said in a joint statement. “Reporting and monitoring how the president as a public figure carries out public responsibilities and duties are an essential part of democracy.”
It added that “we cannot repress our astonishment that the presidential office confuses reporters’ use of the presidential plane with the use of the private property and sees it as charity extended by Yoon Suk Yeol the individual.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos
Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates
The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.






