Friday, October 7, 2022

Spurs’ match called off as Orient players test positive for coronavirus

Tuesday’s League Cup third round match between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur has been postponed after a number of Orient players tested positive for COVID-19, the Football League has said

• September 23, 2020
Corabo Cup
Corabo cup (Photo Credit:https://www.standard.co.uk)

Tuesday’s League Cup third round match between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur has been postponed after a number of Orient players tested positive for COVID-19, the Football League has said.

Orient announced on Monday that some of their players had tested positive and that its Breyer Group Stadium and training ground facilities would be closed until further notice.

“Tonight’s (Tuesday night’s) Carabao Cup match between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur is not taking place this (Tuesday) evening as scheduled,” an EFL statement said.

“Discussions are ongoing between the relevant stakeholders with regard to the implications of the decision not to play tonight’s game and a further update will be provided in due course.”

Tottenham also confirmed the match was off.

It was not clear whether Tottenham had been awarded victory by default or whether the match would be rescheduled.

Orient, who play in the English football league’s fourth-tier, had also informed Mansfield Town, Plymouth Argyle and Oldham Athletic prior to the public release of the information. They are three of their most recent opponents.

It is a bitter blow to a team that was expecting a £150,000 windfall from a game scheduled to be screened live on Sky Sports.

Orient owner Nigel Travis said they had been looking forward to a welcome financial boost.

This is because the coronavirus pandemic ended last season early and continues to rob small clubs of matchday revenue with fans not permitted to attend games.

“The coronavirus has added 1.5 million pounds to our losses and this game would have contributed about 150,000 pounds to offset those losses. So, this is a big blow,” he said.

“We think the appropriate action is for this game to take place,” he added.

“If we don’t play the game and are forced to forfeit, it’s a demonstration that doing the right thing doesn’t work. It would be an incentive not to test.”

Tottenham actually paid for the COVID-19 testing of Orient’s players and staff which produced a significant number of positives, Mr. Travis confirmed.

“We are working with the EFL to see how it happened and the possible cause,” Mr. Travis said.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Education

UNILAG appoints Folasade Ogunsola first female vice chancellor

Professor Folasade Ogunsola’s appointment makes her the 13th vice chancellor to ever head the 60-year-old institution.

Anti-Corruption

EFCC arraigns Sapphire Scents’ MD Adewale Aladejana over N12 million fraud

Among his list of clients are President and First Lady Muhammad and Aisha Buhari, Davido and former Victoria Secret model, Oluchi.

Politics

2023: Mimiko urges Nigerians to support candidates with pro-masses policies

The former Ondo governor said the ‘right leaders’ would birth good governance and usher in development for every Nigerian.

flood

Hot news Home top

24 dead as flood, rainstorm affect 18,245 in Katsina: SEMA

A total of 16,625 houses were damaged by the disasters, and 1,620 farmlands submerged in Kafur, Danja and Ingawa LGAs.

Kano

NESREA hands over 25 seized exotic birds to Kano zoo

The birds were smuggled into the country through Niger Republic and seized by Nigeria customs Service.

APC and PDP flags

Politics

2023: 16 APC ward executives defect to PDP in Sokoto

The defectors said they will work closely with the PDP leadership at all levels to ensure its success during the 2023 polls.