Monday, August 17, 2026

Strike continues as Dangote, FG, PENGASSAN talks end in deadlock

The conciliation meeting between the federal government, PENGASSAN, and the Dangote Group ended in deadlock late Monday.

• September 30, 2025
Dangote Refinery
Dangote Refinery [Credit: Punch Newspapers]

The conciliation meeting between the federal government, the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, and the Dangote Group ended in deadlock late Monday.

The meeting, which lasted over nine hours, was convened by the government to resolve the lingering industrial dispute regarding the alleged dismissal of 800 workers by the Dangote Refinery.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Muhammad Dingyadi, who chaired the meeting, told newsmen in the early hours of Tuesday that progress had been made, but two key issues remained unresolved.

“The only issues on the table are the reinstatement of the sacked workers and unionisation. Apart from these, no other matters are lingering. We have made a lot of progress, and we are optimistic that by later today, when we resume by 2:00 p.m., we should be able to arrive at a resolution,” he said.

PENGASSAN president Festus Osifo stated that no agreement was reached on the reinstatement of the over 800 dismissed workers.

“Unfortunately, there is no solution for now. All we want is for the 800-plus people who were sent home to be reinstated. These people are fathers and mothers, and their careers are at stake,” Mr Osifo said.

He added that branding some of the workers as saboteurs had further damaged their chances of securing employment in the oil and gas industry.

“If they go home like that, there is no other company in Nigeria that will employ them because they have been seen as saboteurs. These are careers that will be damaged if proper remedy is not put in place,” he said.

Mr Osifo stressed that the strike would continue until the workers were reinstated.

“Our position is clear: if you reinstate them now, we will call off our action now. But that reinstatement did not happen. So, as it stands, the strike continues until we reconvene later today,” he stated.

He further confirmed that the Dangote Group had admitted to dismissing the workers.

“They agreed that they dismissed 800 people, and the reason was stated in the letter. It cannot be false because the letters of dismissal are already in the media. It is not our word against theirs, but what they themselves signed in the communication they released last Thursday,” Osifo said.

Additionally, the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, expressed concern about the economic risks associated with the prolonged strike.

“We need to limit the damage of this action to the economy. We need gas flowing, we need crude flowing as inputs into production. We do not want the current momentum of growth to be broken,” he said.

Mr Edun added that the government was optimistic about breaking the deadlock, noting that resolving the issue would allow the Nigerian economy to move forward.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo

Economy

Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo

The beneficiaries received training through the Seplat Teachers Empowerment Programme, with the first Imo cohort graduating in Owerri.

Adeleke shaking hands with Tinubu

Anti-Corruption

Osun Account Freeze: Gov Adeleke withdraws suit against EFCC after Tinubu’s intervention

“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke said.

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.