Thursday, August 20, 2026

Suspected diphtheria outbreak kills three children in Zaria 

Mr Basharata also reported that four children showing diphtheria symptoms were admitted at Kakaki Primary Health Care Clinic near Kwarbai.

• July 8, 2025
Uba Sani of Kaduna State (Credit: Twitter)
Uba Sani of Kaduna State (Credit: Twitter)

No fewer than three children have died, and six others have been infected, following a suspected diphtheria outbreak in Zaria, Kaduna.

Bello Jamoh, executive secretary of Kaduna State Primary Healthcare Board, said the outbreak had persisted in the state for the past 10 months, since October 2024.

He said Kaduna’s health ministry was leading the response to the disease outbreak, with support from relevant partners and stakeholders.

Mr Jamoh added that a team of experts would be deployed to strengthen efforts in tackling the spread and providing medical support.

Meanwhile, Bashir-Magaji Basharata, a resident of Kwarbai, Zaria, who lost his daughter, said the disease was spreading fast across the city.

He said his daughter developed a swollen neck and difficulty breathing and speaking, and was rushed to Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Shika.

Despite urgent care at the hospital, Mr Basharata said his daughter passed away. Soon after, three other children developed similar symptoms.

“I immediately informed the local council health department, which responded by sending a team of vaccinators to the area,” he said.

He added that two children from a neighbour’s household were affected, along with another girl from a nearby street.

Mr Basharata also reported that four children showing diphtheria symptoms were admitted at Kakaki Primary Health Care Clinic near Kwarbai.

He said only one of the children admitted at the Kakaki clinic had been discharged as of his last visit. He expressed concern over reports that no diphtheria vaccines were available across the entire Kaduna.

Mr Basharata said the visiting medical team claimed they sourced the vaccines from neighbouring Niger.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.