Tax Evasion: FCT-IRS to sanction 90% of Abuja residents

The Federal Capital Territory Internal Revenue Service (FCT-IRS) has warned residents who do not file tax returns to do so or face sanctions.
Haruna Abdullahi, the acting executive chairman of FCT-IRS, who gave the warning at a tax seminar with the theme, “Reviving the Culture of Filing Tax”, said about 90 per cent of the residents do not file tax returns.
The acting chairman, who stressed that only 10 per cent of registered taxpayers were compliant, said the service was working with relevant authorities to ensure compliance.
“From our records, the number of taxpayers under the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) scheme is about 120,000.
“Half the figure comprises staff of Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) on the IPPIS platform, those working for Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) and Area Councils.
“The average number of Taxpayers outside those remitting through the PAYE scheme has remained in the region of 4,000 with a significant percentage of stop filers,” he said.
Mr Abdullahi also warned tax advisors to distance themselves from the unethical conduct of tax advisors who routinely encourage tax agents to doctor records.
He said that besides doctoring records, some tax agents conceal documents required to assess tax dues fairly.
The FCT-IRS boss also expressed concern over the engagement of unprofessional consultants by some taxpayers to prepare and file returns with seemingly wealthy individuals.
According to him, some consultants encourage wealthy Nigerians to file as low as an annual income of N1 million to N2 billion.
He said the service would continue to probe the activities of the agents and consultants.
On the revenue generated over the years, Mr Abdullahi said it had improved from N48 billion it inherited to generating more than N100 billion in 2021.
He said the service planned to increase its collection to N150 billion in 2022 outside unremitted taxes and levies.
Mr Abdullahi said that with the recovery of unremitted taxes and levies, the service hoped to generate N200 billion in 2022.
According to him, the N200 billion projections have been made in line with the 20 per cent of registered taxpayers.
He said with enhanced compliance by the remaining residents, the service would be able to generate between N300 billion and N400 billion.
Mr Abdullahi said there would be room for high employment, low income reduction and enhanced services for residents if the target was achieved.
On the efforts to ensure seamless collection of taxes in the FCT, Mr Abdullahi said the service had leveraged the gains of Information Technology (IT) and other avenues for its actualisation.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.






