Team Nigeria emerges overall winner at Africa Para Badminton Championships

Team Nigeria has emerged as the overall winner of the 2025 Africa Para Badminton Championships, clinching 36 medals, including 10 gold, 13 silver, and 13 bronze, as the competition ended on Sunday in Umuahia, Abia State.
The National Olympic Committee of Kenya came second with 11 medals, comprising four gold, two silver, and five bronze.
Egypt rounded off the top three with eight medals, including three gold, one silver, and four bronze.
The Republic of Benin came fourth with one gold, two silver, and two bronze medals, while the Democratic Republic of Congo finished fifth with one gold and two bronze medals.
Tunisia occupied the sixth position with one silver and one bronze, as Cameroon got six bronze medals to place seventh.
Zimbabwe, Burkina Faso, and Rwanda rounded off the top 10 with two bronze medals each, while Mauritius completed the medal table with one bronze.
Only Mozambique failed to win any medal among the 12 countries that participated in the 19 events of the tournament, which started on Oct. 7.
Meanwhile, African queen of para badminton, Eniola Bolaji, Chigozie Nnanna, Chukwuemeka Eze, Ijeoma Chukwuemeka, Mary Nathan, Chinyere Okoro, Munkwoba Goman, and Bello Tukur were among Nigeria’s gold medalists.
The trio of Bolaji, Nnanna, and Nathan had also won gold medals in their categories at the just-concluded First Abia Para Badminton International, held between Sept. 30 and Oct. 5 at the same venue.
Odinachi Uwalaka, Obinna Nwosu, Ifeanacho Ohaeri, Ebikoboere Brown, Abel David, James Akpan, Nendimwa Monday, and others also won silver for Nigeria on Sunday.
In his closing ceremony speech, Gov. Alex Otti of Abia extended gratitude to all the athletes and officials, describing the event as an extraordinary celebration of resilience and unity.
Mr Otti, represented by Nwaobilor Ananaba, Commissioner for Sports and Youth Development, said that the experience had been a priceless classroom for Nigeria.
“We have learned, improved and been inspired.
“Let me assure you that Abia will bid to host again, and when we do, we will offer an experience that will surpass this pioneering effort,” he said.
In a goodwill message, president, Badminton Federation of Nigeria, Francis Orbih, said that the para athletes had demonstrated that sport is a powerful expression of ability, resilience, and human dignity.
He thanked the Badminton World Federation and the Badminton Confederation of Africa for their guidance, presence, and unrelenting commitment to the advancement of para badminton in Africa.
Mr Orbih also expressed gratitude to the Abia State government, saying, “You have not only provided a world-class environment for competition, but you have also created a home for friendship and unity among others.”
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz
Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11
Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport
Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title
Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

NationWide
Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits
The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States
Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire
The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz
Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office
Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres







