Saturday, August 22, 2026

Three arrested as fire razes seven buildings, kills 83 people in Hong Kong

Police said the fire at a housing estate on Wednesday could have been caused by “gross negligence” by the construction firm.

• November 27, 2025
Fire outbreak in Hong Kong
Fire outbreak in Hong Kong[Credit: Sahara Reporters]

Three construction company executives, consisting of two directors and an engineering consultant, have been arrested for alleged manslaughter following a deadly fire outbreak that killed 83 people in Tai Po, Hong Kong.

Police said the fire at a housing estate on Wednesday could have been caused by “gross negligence” by the construction firm.

“We have reason to believe that the company’s responsible parties were grossly negligent, which led to this accident and caused the fire to spread uncontrollably, resulting in major casualties,” Police Superintendent Eileen Chung said without mentioning the company’s name.

According to the South China Morning Post, the local fire department disclosed that at least 83 people died in the fire, with 40 of the 70 injured declared to be in critical condition in the hospital.

With 270 others declared missing, rescuers, among whom 11 were also reported injured, have evacuated hundreds of residents who are now among about 900 placed in temporary shelters, as volunteers continue to bring supplies to the displaced.

The fire outbreak was said to have started on the external scaffolding of a 32-storey tower, then spread into the building and to seven of the eight structures. It was still raging as of Thursday morning.

It was said to have raised bamboo scaffolding outside several flats of the building, with burning sections of green scaffolding mesh falling to the ground. The complex, built in the 1980s, had been under renovation for a year before the blaze.

Deputy director of Fire Service operations, Derek Armstrong Chan, said, “Debris and scaffolding of the affected buildings are falling down. The temperature inside the buildings concerned is very high. It’s difficult for us to enter the building and go upstairs to conduct firefighting and rescue operations.”

The police say they are investigating the renovation of the complex to determine whether the materials, which included mesh and plastic sheets, used for the exterior of the high-rise buildings complied with fire resistance standards.

According to the Director of Fire Services, Andy Yeung, officers found highly flammable foam sheets, which they suspect caused the unusually rapid spread of the fire.

The inferno, which was initially classified as a “No 1” alarm fire before spreading to the other buildings, worsened with dark smoke spreading to the sky at Wang Fuk Court and was quickly raised to “No 4” classification before it was further raised to the highest level, “No 5,” within hours.

The country’s chief executive, John Lee Ka-chiu, in a press conference at Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin on Thursday, after visiting a community hall, disclosed that the blaze is now “basically under control.”

The inferno is said to be the deadliest recorded in years, after the 20-hour level five outbreak of November 1996, which witnessed 41 deaths in a building in Kowloon.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States

Troops kill one IPOB member in Anambra, recover explosive devices

Troops raided IPOB and ESN stronghold in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State and killed one of their members.

Beach ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‌⁠‍‌Volleyball: Nigeria beat Morocco, qualify for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics

Sport

Beach ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‌⁠‍‌Volleyball: Nigeria beat Morocco, qualify for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics

The Nigerian women’s beach volleyball team qualified for the Olympic Games event for the first time in history after defeating Morocco 2-0 in the 2026 CAVB final on Saturday.

Cocoa seedlings

Agriculture

Ekiti ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠‍⁠‍‌‌⁠⁠‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠‍⁠‍‌LG distributes improved cocoa seedlings to farmers

The chairman of Ikole Local Government Area, Bayo Omojola, said the seedlings would boost earnings and improve farmers’ livelihoods.

PENGASSAN

Economy

PENGASSAN elects Bosun Olabiyi-Agoro as national president

Mr Olabiyi-Agoro succeeds Festus Osifo, who served as the association’s national president for six years.

Calabar

States

Fire guts Calabar mall

The inferno reportedly started around 7:00 a.m. in a section of the mall before spreading rapidly and growing into a huge fire.

CP Ayodeji Faniyan

Politics

2027: Shun thuggery, promote peace, Plateau CP tells youths

Mr Faniyan said youths remain central to democracy and national development.