Tuesday, August 18, 2026

TikTok faces U.S. ban after losing appeal

The court’s decision means the Chinese company would take the case to the Supreme Court.

and • December 6, 2024
TikTok
TikTok

Popular social media company, TikTok, is set to be banned in the United States after losing its appeal to overturn the law that requires its owner to either sell the company or face an effective ban.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled against TikTok on Friday, rejecting its petition to overturn the legislation.  

The Chinese company went to court to appeal the legislation which was passed in April by Congress and signed into law by President Joe Biden following years of concerns on Capitol Hill that ByteDance poses a national security risk.

The law is said to be a move to counter China’s efforts to collect Americans’ data and limit its ability to manipulate content covertly on TikTok.

A panel of the three federal courts, in their judgement, acknowledged the law, asking the Chinese company to either divest or stop operations in the country.

“We recognize that this decision has significant implications for TikTok and its users. Consequently, TikTok’s millions of users will need to find alternative media of communication”, the panel noted.

The court’s decision means the Chinese company would take the case to the Supreme Court.

The company, in a statement on X, described the law banning the company as unconstitutional and inaccurate, adding it infringes on Americans’ rights to free speech.

“The Supreme Court has an established historical record of protecting Americans’ right to free speech, and we expect they will do just that on this important constitutional issue. Unfortunately, the TikTok ban was conceived and pushed through based upon inaccurate, flawed and hypothetical information, resulting in outright censorship of the American people. The TikTok ban, unless stopped, will silence the voices of over 170 million Americans here in the U.S. and around the world on January 19th, 2025,”  the statement read.

The court’s decision comes as President-Elect Donald Trump is set to be inaugurated in January. Mr Trump had, during his campaign, said he would “save TikTok” from a ban if elected.

Launched in the U.S. in 2018, TikTok has become a formidable tool for Americans to make money, promote businesses and communicate their concerns to the government

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Tinubu and Keir Starmer

Opinion

Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal

To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

Local drug store

States

Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

Peter Mbah and Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)

States

Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike

The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.

States

Gov. Idris okays N2 billion, buses for seven Kebbi tertiary institutions

Mr Abubakar-Tunga said the buses were meant to enhance mobility, welfare, and learning conditions across the institutions.

Nigerian Correctional Service

NationWide

NCoS urges inmates to deepen religious values, build character

Mr David urged inmates in custodial centres to let religion take deeper root in their character to achieve desired reformation.