Friday, August 21, 2026

Tinubu mourns soldiers killed in Benisheikh attack

The president described the fallen officers as unforgettable heroes who paid the ultimate price in defence of the country.

• April 9, 2026
Brigadier-General Oseni Omoh Braimah
Brigadier-General Oseni Omoh Braimah(Credit: Facebook)

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has expressed sorrow over the killing of soldiers of the 29 Task Force Brigade, Operation HADIN KAI, following a coordinated terrorist attack on their base in Benisheikh, Borno State.

According to a statement issued on Thursday by his special adviser on information and strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the president described the fallen officers as unforgettable heroes who paid the ultimate price in defence of the country.

“From the reports I have received, our armed forces have been conducting sustained, intense land and air offensives against the insurgents, neutralising many of their fighters and commanders. The insurgents’ counterattack is a sign of desperation,” Mr Tinubu said.

He added, “I extend my condolences to the families of our gallant soldiers, led by Brigadier-General Oseni Omoh Braimah, who made the ultimate sacrifice in the defence of our country today in Borno State. The government will never forget their sacrifices. Their sacrifices will not be in vain.”

Mr Tinubu extended his condolences to the families of the slain soldiers and the Nigerian military, urging them to remain steadfast despite the loss. He also commended the courage of the troops, noting that they fought bravely to repel the attackers and prevent them from overrunning nearby communities.

The Defence Headquarters had earlier confirmed the early morning attack on April 9, 2026, which resulted in multiple casualties among the troops.

Among those killed was Brigadier-General Oseni Omoh Braimah, who led the brigade in the counterinsurgency operations.

The president said ongoing land and air offensives by Nigerian forces had inflicted heavy losses on insurgents, describing the latest attack as a desperate move by weakened террорист groups.

Mr Tinubu also urged troops not to lose morale, saying, “Do not lose heart, do not be weary, do not be discouraged. Our officers and men should continue to serve with honour, courage, and patriotism. The government will always stand by the Armed Forces, provide more of the equipment needed and ensure the welfare of all who risk their lives for our safety.”

He further called on Nigerians and the media to support the military, warning against actions that could undermine their efforts.

“These soldiers are our heroes; unforgettable and irreplaceable. I urge Nigerians and the media to continue to support our Military in their relentless battle against insurgency and banditry,” he said.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Monday Okpebholo

States

Nigeria still safe despite security challenges: Gov Okpebholo 

The governor thanked the organisation for its intervention in the state health sector.

Yan Diomandé

Sport

Yan Diomandé: Meet Africa’s most expensive footballer in history

After signing a seven-year deal with Real Madrid of Spain worth $144

Bolaji Abdullahi

NationWide

Atiku boycotted Peace Accord due to failures of past agreements to stop election violence, killings: ADC

The party faulted the Peace Accord Committee over Senator Francis Fadahunsi’s threat of violence.

police

States

Police nab three over alleged murder in Anambra

Mr Ikenga said that the incident occurred on August 17.

States

Terrorists invade Niger villages, abduct worshippers during Jumat prayers 

The police spokesman, Wasiu Abiodun was not available for comment.

Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq

Education

Kwara distributes 1,755 computers to 70 public secondary schools

The governor stressed that education remained the bedrock of sustainable development.