Tinubu orders works ministry, National Assembly, other stakeholders to meet over Lagos flooding crisis

President Bola Tinubu has directed the Federal Ministry of Works to convene a meeting with relevant stakeholders and landlords along the Lagos coastal corridor to develop lasting solutions to the recurrent flooding affecting major parts of the state during the rainy season.
The directive, announced on Monday by Olufemi Dare, the federal controller of works for Lagos State, comes amid renewed concerns over persistent flooding in Lagos, particularly in areas surrounding the Lagos–Calabar coastal highway project.
The meeting is scheduled for Monday, while a press conference and stakeholders’ engagement is slated for Tuesday, July 7, at Zinia Hall in Eko Hotels and Suites, Lagos.
Mr Dare urged the Lagos State government officials, the Federal Ministry of the Environment and representatives of concerned landlords along the coastal road to attend the meeting.
The Federal Ministry of Works and the National Assembly committee on works will, on Monday, conduct an assessment of the environmental challenges to determine the causes and extent of the flooding and propose ways to address it.
Mr Dare clarified that the Lagos-Calabar coastal highway did not, in any way, contribute to the flooding, but that the president deemed the meeting necessary to address the flooding plaguing the coastal area.
He said, “It should be noted that the Lagos-Calabar coastal highway has not contributed to the flooding issue in Lagos State.
“However, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, has directed that this meeting take place to find a lasting solution to the flooding issue in the Lagos coastal corridor.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.






