Saturday, August 22, 2026

Tinubu’s pardons to Maryam Sanda, others licence to commit crimes with impunity: Amnesty 

Amnesty International has condemned the presidential pardons extended to 175 inmates by President Bola Tinubu, saying the action emboldens impunity for human rights crimes.

and • October 14, 2025
Maryam Sanda
Maryam Sanda(Photo credit:Ripples Nigeria)

Amnesty International has condemned the presidential pardons extended to 175 inmates by President Bola Tinubu, saying the action emboldens impunity for human rights crimes.

In a statement on Tuesday, the organisation said the actions of Mr Tinubu can undermine the rule of law and prevent reparations for victims.

“Amnesty International is deeply concerned by the clemency and pardons granted by the government of President Bola Tinubu to some persons convicted of human rights crimes, as the pardons for these crimes prevent reparations for victims,” said the statement. “The actions of the government have the potential of undermining the rule of law, preventing the emergence of the truth, the determination of guilt or innocence by a court, and reparations for victims, as well as entrenching impunity for human rights crimes.”

It noted that “the way and manner the Nigerian authorities carried out the exercise seemed to prioritise the perpetrators instead of access to justice and effective remedies for the victims and their families”.

It urged Mr Tinubu to reconsider the pardons while ensuring that the rights of the victims are upheld.

“President Bola Tinubu should reconsider his government’s pardons for those convicted of human rights crimes, and uphold and ensure the rights of the victims and their families,” said the rights group.

Amnesty International’s statement came against the backdrop of pardons granted to several convicted criminals and murderers serving different jail terms in the country, especially Maryam Sanda, who was sentenced to death for the murder of her husband, Biliyaminu Bello.

Mr Bello’s family, in a statement on Monday, condemned Mr Tinubu’s action, describing it as the worst injustice any family could be made to experience.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Troops of Operations Fansan Yamma.

States

24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno

The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”

Accident Scene

Lagos

Five die in Badagry road crash

Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

Heading 1

Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members

The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

The U.S Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia

World

U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.