Thursday, August 20, 2026

Top ISWAP leaders, 76 other fighters surrendered to Nigerian troops in North-East amid sustained operations: Army

The army said the terrorists surrendered to the troops due to relentless military pressure.

• June 29, 2026
Nigerian army in Orlu Imo state [Photo Credit: Premium Times]
Nigerian army[Photo Credit: Premium Times]

The Nigerian Army has announced the surrender of top leaders of the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP), alongside 76 foot soldiers and some of their family members, following military operations in the North-East.

Muhammad Goni, the acting military information officer, Joint Task Force North-East, Operation Hadin Kai, made the announcement in a statement on Monday.

The army said the terrorists surrendered to the troops due to relentless military pressure, noting they were currently undergoing profiling and other procedures in line with extant operational protocols. 

“In another major breakthrough, a fresh group of top ISWAP terrorist leaders have abandoned their enclaves and surrendered to troops within the North-East theatre of operations. Among those who surrendered are key members of the terrorist network due to relentless military pressure. They are currently in a secure location undergoing profiling, debriefing and other established procedures in accordance with extant operational protocols,” he said.

According to the military, the development highlights the devastating impact of the sustained offensive by Operation Hadin Kai, which continues to dismantle terrorist strongholds, disrupt command and logistics structures and deny the insurgents freedom of action across the theatre.

“Persistent military operations have continued to degrade the terrorists’ combat capabilities while eroding confidence within their ranks and leadership. Within the last week alone, a total of 76 terrorist foot soldiers with some families surrendered to troops,” he added.

The statement further said that the operational gains demonstrate the effectiveness of the Nigerian military’s comprehensive counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency strategy, combining precision combat operations, intelligence-led engagements, and coordinated joint efforts with partners. 

The military reaffirmed its commitment to defeat terrorism and restore lasting peace and security across the North-East. 

“The pressure on the remaining terrorists will continue unabated until they are completely neutralised or forced to surrender,” he added.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.