Traffic Indiscipline: Police to arrest, prosecute traffic offenders on coastal highway

The commissioner of police in Lagos State, Olohundare Jimoh, has warned motorists using the Lagos–Calabar Coastal Road to obey traffic rules or face arrest and prosecution, as police intensify enforcement on the highway.
Mr Jimoh gave the warning on Tuesday in Lagos during a joint briefing with the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Olufemi Dare, on traffic indiscipline and safety concerns on the road.
He said the police had maintained a massive deployment of personnel on the coastal road since its temporary opening in December to ease traffic gridlock in the Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Lekki and Epe axis.
“On a daily basis, we deploy more than 50 patrol teams on both sides of the road to ensure safety and protection of lives and property.
“Since the deployment, we have not recorded any incident of robbery, car snatching or kidnapping on this road,” Mr Jimoh said.
Mr Jimoh said enforcement against traffic violations had been stepped up, noting that 68 motorcycles (Okada) had already been confiscated for illegal use of the road.
He stressed that motorcycles, including dispatch riders, were banned from the superhighway, describing their presence as dangerous to both riders and other road users.
The CP announced the starting of mobile court operations on the coastal road, adding that offenders would be promptly tried.
“Anybody arrested for traffic offences will be taken to a mobile court, and if found guilty, the full weight of the law will be applied,” he said.
Mr Jimoh also warned against driving against traffic, street racing and overspeeding, saying vehicles found violating traffic rules would be towed and drivers prosecuted.
He disclosed that about 18 drivers were currently in police custody for speeding, while the driver responsible for the death of a construction worker had been arrested.
He said the speed limit on the road during construction was 40 kilometres per hour.
“If you drive beyond 40km per hour on this coastal road, you will be apprehended and prosecuted. This road is still under construction and safety must come first,” Mr Jimoh said.
Earlier, the Federal Controller of Works said the road was temporarily opened to traffic to reduce pressure on the Lekki-Epe Expressway, but motorists had continued to abuse the privilege.
Mr Dare disclosed that a staff member of Hi-Tech Construction Company was killed over the weekend by a speeding vehicle while walking on the designated walkway.
He condemned the illegal use of motorcycles, driving against traffic, defecation on the road median and car racing on the coastal road, describing them as threats to lives and critical infrastructure.
He thanked the police for their support and urged them to sustain enforcement to sanitise the road and protect both road users and construction workers.
The minister of works, Dave Umahi, had on January 23, warned that Section One of the Lagos–Calabar Coastal Highway might be closed to traffic if indiscipline by motorists continued to endanger lives and disrupt construction work.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Tinubu appoints Gov Sanwo-Olu as 2027 campaign South-West coordinator
Mr Sanwo-Olu, who is also chairman of the South-West Governors’ Forum, will coordinate the party’s campaign activities across Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo and Ekiti states.

States
NDLEA raids six drug black spots in Jigawa, arrests eight suspects
Mr Wada said the command recovered 43.96 grams of assorted illicit drugs.

Abuja
Wike orders crackdown on car dealers operating in Abuja green areas
Mr Wike said defaulting vehicles would be impounded and auctioned, and their locations permanently shut down.

States
Police rescue 13 abducted passengers in Benue
Orchia Peter Aondongu, the Benue police command’s spokesman, said the victims were kidnapped the previous Friday while travelling from Enugu to Abuja.

Economy
Recapitalisation: Shareholders seek deadline extension for insurers
Mr Okezie said withdrawing licences from companies making genuine efforts could hurt shareholders and investors whose funds remained tied up in affected firms.

States
Scores of terrorists killed in Borno air strikes: Army
The Nigerian Army said air platforms of its Operation Hadin Kai killed scores of terrorists in different locations across Borno State.






