Monday, August 17, 2026

Trump backtracks over cancellation of student visas

Mr Carilli explained that until the process was complete, agencies would not make additional changes or further revocations.

• April 25, 2025
U.S. President Donald Trump
Donald Trump [Photo credit: CNN]

United States President Donald Trump has backtracked by restoring the student visa registrations of scores of foreign students studying in the country.

This came after his administration revoked hundreds of international student visas across the country, setting off a desperate scramble for them to exit the U.S., The New York Times reports.

Recall that the authorities of the universities had reported that over 1,500 students were being forced to leave the country, especially after their visas were cancelled in the Federal Student Exchange and Visitor Information System.

The move by Mr Trump’s administration for the deportation proceedings came after a number of the students participated in demonstrations against Israel during the wave of campus protests last year over the war in Gaza.

The terminations sparked concern and panic for thousands of students who feared that they had lost their legal immigration status and could be quickly deported.

Many who sued over the move said their schools had also blocked their ability to continue taking classes or conducting research, just weeks before their graduation.

Federal judges had also halted some of those revocations and slammed the brakes on efforts to remove those students from the country.

But on Friday, Mr Trump’s administration abruptly walked back its cancellation of the student visas, announcing a dramatic shift by Immigration and Customs Enforcement during a court hearing in Washington.

The Justice Department announced the wholesale reversal in federal court after weeks of intense scrutiny by the courts and dozens of restraining orders issued by judges who deemed the mass termination of the students from a federal database unlawful.

Joseph Carilli, a Justice Department lawyer, said the immigration officials had begun work on a new system for reviewing and terminating visas for international students.

Mr Carilli explained that until the process was complete, agencies would not make additional changes or further revocations.

He added that the government was prepared to file the policy change across other lawsuits, potentially providing some reprieve for students who had sued to have their visas reinstated and remain in the country through graduation ceremonies in the spring.

Other lawsuits, including a potential class action in New England, have been filed seeking to stop the administration more broadly from carrying out further cancellations.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ademola Adeleke

Politics

Gov Adeleke’s re-election triumph for democracy, defeat for one-party myth: Ex-APC Spokesman

A former APC spokesman for Lagos, Seye Oladejo, described Governor Ademola Adeleke’s re-election in Osun as a democratic triumph.

Governor Abba Yusuf

Politics

55% of Kano’s 1,557 projects completed: Commissioner

The Kano government says it has completed 867 of the 1,557 projects executed by Governor Abba Yusuf’s administration since its inception.

President Bola Tinubu, David Adeleke, Governor Ademola Adeleke

Politics

Davido opposes Adeleke’s support for Tinubu, says ‘evil’ APC killed people over Osun governorship election

“Y’all kept it bloody n lost! Pple died! F**k yall!!,” Davido lashed at APC and its supporters.

Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Ademola Adeleke

Politics

‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares

“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

Governor Nasir Idris

States

Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate

Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Governor Ademola Adeleke and President Bola Tinubu

Opinion

Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics

The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.