Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Trump issues new rule limiting international student visas to four years

Under the rule, students on F visas and exchange visitors on J visas will only be able to stay in the US during the length of their programme up to four years.

• July 16, 2026

President Donald Trump’s administration has issued a new rule scrapping the policy allowing international students and exchange visitors to remain in the United States for as long as their studies last.

The new rule, announced by Department of Homeland Security on Thursday, replaced the policy with a four-year limit requiring many of them to seek federal permission to stay.

Under the rule, students on F visas and exchange visitors on J visas will only be able to stay in the US during the length of their programme up to four years. 

“Today, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced the publication of a final rule that officially eliminates the “duration of status” loophole that allowed foreign students, exchange visitors, and media representatives to remain in the United States indefinitely without routine government oversight,” the statement said.

According to the new rule, anyone needing more time, including most doctoral candidates and physicians in lengthy residencies, will have to file a formal extension request with U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services, provide biometrics and pay a fee, instead of relying on their schools to manage their status.

Students already in the country when the rule takes effect will be moved to a fixed-end date based on their current programprogramme, plus a grace period, rather than having to leave right away. 

The new rule also stipulated that those who let their fixed term expire would immediately begin accruing unlawful presence, exposing them to three- and 10-year bans on returning.

“For nearly half a century, the outdated ‘duration of status’ system has compromised national security and created an environment ripe for immigration fraud,” said DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin. 

Mr Mulin added that for decades, foreign students had been admitted into the U.S. indefinitely, allowing thousands to abuse the immigration system by perpetually enrolling in courses to avoid having to leave the country.

“By implementing clear, finite limits on these visas, the United States is reclaiming its ability to properly screen, vet, and monitor individuals within our borders. This final rule ensures that foreign students remain focused on their primary purpose: completing their studies and returning home,” he noted.

The rule also invalidated “duration of status,” which had been in place since the early 1990s under which a student’s entry record carried no set expiration date. 

It was expected to take effect September 15, even though the Congress could delay or overturn it under the review process for major regulations.

The development came as the Trump administration revoked several student visas amid heightened actions targeting foreign students.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.