Saturday, August 22, 2026

Trump moves to charge foreign students $100,000 for U.S. work permit

As of 2024, about 419,000 foreign nationals were working under OPT. 

• July 31, 2026
Donald Trump
Donald Trump [Credit; CNN]

President Donald Trump’s administration is considering imposing a $100,000 fee on international students seeking to work in the United States after graduation from American universities.

The proposed fee, which would apply to the optional practical training (OPT) programme, is still under discussion at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

It is unclear whether the White House will approve the proposal or whether foreign students or their prospective employers will pay the fee.

As of 2024, about 419,000 foreign nationals were working under OPT, a programme that allows international graduates to work in the U.S. for up to three years on student visas.

The proposal, which could discourage foreigners from choosing the U.S. as a study destination, is part of the Trump administration’s crackdown on immigration.

It would also affect universities that rely on tuition from international students, as well as companies that employ foreign graduates for skilled roles in the technology and finance sectors.

The move follows a recent ruling that invalidated Mr Trump’s decision to impose a $100,000 fee on new H-1B visa applicationsfor foreign skilled workers. The policy faced heavy pushback from state attorneys general and technology companies, prompting the administration to limit the fee to new foreign recruits seeking to enter the U.S.

IT and accounting firms typically hire foreign workers through H-1B visas, while leading tech and finance companies prefer international graduates from American universities before later converting them to H-1B status.

“No policies should be considered final until formally announced,” a DHS spokeswoman said in a statement. “At DHS, we are always having conversations about how to use all tools in our arsenal to protect the integrity of our legal immigration system.”

The Trump administration has increasingly proposed $100,000 fees as part of its immigration enforcement efforts aimed at blocking foreign nationals with limited financial resources from entering the U.S.

Aside from the proposed H-1B and student visa fees, officials are also considering a $100,000 bond for green card applicants outside the U.S., redeemable only after they become citizens.

If approved, the OPT fee would likely be tied to the Trump administration’s new requirement introduced earlier this month, requiring foreign students to apply for a visa extension before taking part in the OPT programme.

The DHS is working on changes to the OPT programme, expected to be announced later this year. Advocates warned the changes could force international graduates to leave the U.S. after graduating from American universities, taking the skills they acquired there to foreign markets.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Cocoa seedlings

Agriculture

Ekiti ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠‍⁠‍‌‌⁠⁠‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠‍⁠‍‌LG distributes improved cocoa seedlings to farmers

The chairman of Ikole Local Government Area, Bayo Omojola, said the seedlings would boost earnings and improve farmers’ livelihoods.

PENGASSAN

Economy

PENGASSAN elects Bosun Olabiyi-Agoro as national president

Mr Olabiyi-Agoro succeeds Festus Osifo, who served as the association’s national president for six years.

Calabar

States

Fire guts Calabar mall

The inferno reportedly started around 7:00 a.m. in a section of the mall before spreading rapidly and growing into a huge fire.

CP Ayodeji Faniyan

Politics

2027: Shun thuggery, promote peace, Plateau CP tells youths

Mr Faniyan said youths remain central to democracy and national development.

Lagos State government

Lagos

Lagos govt begins stakeholder engagement on Ikotun junction upgrade

The proposed upgrade covers the intersection of Ijegun, Isolo, and Idimu roads and aims to improve traffic flow, connectivity, and mobility in the area.

Donald Duke

Economy

Tinubu’s fuel subsidy removal enriched governors, made life unbearable for Nigerians: Donald Duke

Mr Duke accused the Tinubu administration of implementing economic policies that enriched government coffers rather than the people.