Trump should take ‘forceful action’ in Nigeria; Tinubu ignoring ongoing Christian genocide: U.S. Lawmaker

President Donald Trump has been called upon to take “forceful action” in Nigeria as U.S. lawmaker Riley Moore accused President Bola Tinubu of folding his hands amid alleged Christian genocide.
“When I visited Nigeria, the government responded swiftly to quell a coup in Benin. Nigeria’s willingness to step in to stop a violent attack in another country, while they stand by as their own Christian citizens are brutalised, makes these absolutely horrific scenes unfolding in Plateau state all the more unconscionable.
“Now, I am asking the Trump administration to take forceful action to defend our innocent brothers and sisters in Christ in the Middle Belt of Nigeria, the epicentre of an ongoing Christian genocide,” stated the American congressman.
Mr Moore, who was among a U.S. fact-finding delegation to Nigeria on alleged Christian genocide last year, made this call reacting to a video in which people said to be gathered for mass burial of victims of an attack were attacked by gunmen at the burial site.
“Christians — who were gathered for a mass burial for those killed in a previous attack — were viciously murdered by radical Islamic terrorists,” Mr Moore said. “The Nigerian government could root out the terrorism and stop the martyrdom of its own citizens. But, despite receiving early warnings of impending attacks, they are nowhere to be found as Christians are murdered for their faith, like lambs led to slaughter.”
Presidential spokespersons Bayo Onanuga and Daniel Bwala did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the allegation.
Mr Moore’s call for the U.S. president to take forceful action to defend Nigerians comes months after Mr Trump ordered the bombing of terrorists in their enclave in Sokoto on December 25, 2025.
Last week, Mr Moore lashed out at Tinubu’s government for splashing multimillion-dollar to lobby the American Congress while failing to address the killing of Christians in Nigeria.
On January 14, the Peoples Gazette reported that Mr Tinubu’s administration splurged $9 million on a Republican lobbyist in its desperate effort to curry Washington’s favour, particularly to appease Mr Trump on plans to invade Nigeria to confront terrorists allegedly targeting Christians, thereby humiliating his government’s capacity ahead of his re-election bid next year.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sport
Beach Volleyball: Nigeria beat Morocco, qualify for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics
The Nigerian women’s beach volleyball team qualified for the Olympic Games event for the first time in history after defeating Morocco 2-0 in the 2026 CAVB final on Saturday.

Agriculture
Ekiti LG distributes improved cocoa seedlings to farmers
The chairman of Ikole Local Government Area, Bayo Omojola, said the seedlings would boost earnings and improve farmers’ livelihoods.

Economy
PENGASSAN elects Bosun Olabiyi-Agoro as national president
Mr Olabiyi-Agoro succeeds Festus Osifo, who served as the association’s national president for six years.

States
Fire guts Calabar mall
The inferno reportedly started around 7:00 a.m. in a section of the mall before spreading rapidly and growing into a huge fire.

Politics
2027: Shun thuggery, promote peace, Plateau CP tells youths
Mr Faniyan said youths remain central to democracy and national development.

Lagos
Lagos govt begins stakeholder engagement on Ikotun junction upgrade
The proposed upgrade covers the intersection of Ijegun, Isolo, and Idimu roads and aims to improve traffic flow, connectivity, and mobility in the area.






