Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Trump’s FBI director pick says U.S. SEAL Team Six rescued American hostage from northern Nigerian bandits within 60 seconds

Mr Patel was the brain behind the rescue operation.

• February 1, 2025
Kash Patel
Kash Patel [Credit; ACLU]

President Donald Trump’s nominee for the FBI director, Kash Patel, on Thursday, said the U.S. SEAL Team Six spent only 60 seconds in rescuing a kidnapped American citizen who had been kept hostage in northern Nigeria.

Mr Patel stated this during his confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate on January 30, 2025. 

He was grilled about his role in the secret operation to rescue Philip Walton, a 27-year-old son of American missionaries who had been kidnapped by armed bandits from the neighbouring Niger and moved to northern Nigeria for ransom.

“The operation lasted for 60 seconds,” Mr Patel told the U.S. Congress on Thursday.

He was further grilled about his alleged carelessness in parroting a false approval that the Nigerian government had given the SEAL Team Six clearance to use the Nigerian airspace. Mr Patel was the brain behind the rescue operation, having obtained intelligence on the location where Mr Walton was being held.

He saw the opportunity for the Seal Team Six to strike given the bandits could move Mr Walton to a new location.

It was while the aircraft was aboard with agents mid-air that the U.S. senior officials learnt that the Nigerian government had not yet granted the Navy SEALs clearance to use their airspace, let alone land.

Then-Defence Secretary, Mark Esper, in his memoir, noted it was one of Mr Patel’s  numerous slip-ups and that he was highly concerned for the SEALs, particularly whether they would get shot down from the unauthorised mission.

“I was concerned that being packed in an aircraft burning holes in the sky for an extra hour or so would wear on the special operators, that it might affect their readiness somehow,” ABC cited Mr Esper’s memoir recounting the op.

Mr Esper said the SEALs had their suspicions that Mr Patel fabricated the clearance he said the Nigerian government gave them.

“My team suspected Patel made the approval story up, but they didn’t have all the facts,” Mr Esper wrote.

Mr Patel refuted the allegations in his own book “Government Gangsters” claiming there were persons who tried to undermine the president’s agenda by raising roadblocks to counterterrorism missions in Africa and the Middle East. 

The operation was eventually a success after the State Department intervened and acted swiftly to obtain airspace permission from the Nigerian authorities before the Navy SEALs landed.

Mr Patel has faced significant opposition in his quest to become FBI director and it is yet unclear whether he answered the queries satisfactorily.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.