Monday, August 17, 2026

Tyson Fury calls off all-British title fight with Anthony Joshua

Fury said the December 3 fight was called off after Joshua and his camp failed to meet the 5:00 p.m. deadline imposed by The Gypsy King.

• September 26, 2022
Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury
Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury

British heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has called off his intended fight with British-Nigerian boxer Anthony Joshua after he failed to make the deadline set by The Gypsy King.

Joshua had earlier agreed to terms to fight Fury in December after the latter gave him a title shot following Joshua’s loss to Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk in their title rematch last month.

Joshua assured that he would sign the contract on Sunday in order to make the fight happen, stating that his lawyers are handlers of the contract.

However, Fury gave Joshua a self-issued ultimatum of 5:00 p.m. on Monday to sign the contract otherwise he would pull out of the fight.

Joshua and his camp failed to sign the contract before the deadline and the WBC champion subsequently announced that the chance of the all-British heavyweight fight happening was over.

“It’s official. D Day has come and gone. It’s gone past 5 pm Monday, no contract has been signed. It’s officially over for Joshua. He’s now out in the cold with the wolfpack. Forget about it. Idiot. Coward!,” Fury said on his instagram story.

He added: “I always knew you didn’t have the minerals to fight the Gypsy King. Good luck with your career, and your life.”

Fury immediately announced that he is looking forward to fighting former WBA heavyweight champion Mahmoud Charr next.

“Looking forward to fighting a man who wants to fight & has fire & desire. fought some of the best fighters & now stepping up again! get in there charr,” he said.

At the time of filing this report, Neither Joshua nor his camp has responded to the latest development.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo

Economy

Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo

The beneficiaries received training through the Seplat Teachers Empowerment Programme, with the first Imo cohort graduating in Owerri.

Adeleke shaking hands with Tinubu

Anti-Corruption

Osun Account Freeze: Gov Adeleke withdraws suit against EFCC after Tinubu’s intervention

“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke said.

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.