U.S. Court jails Nigerian Kelvin Otunyo for money laundering, identity theft

A Nigerian man named Kelvin Otunyo has been sentenced to 90 months in prison on federal charges of money laundering and identity theft. Mr Otunyo had been linked to about six schemes to deposit and launder stolen funds in the United States.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia announced the sentencing on Friday via its website.
“Kelvin Otunyo, 37, of Hyattsville, Md., was sentenced today to 90 months in prison on federal charges stemming from his role in at least six schemes to deposit and launder stolen and unauthorized checks valued at more than $350,000,” the statement said.
Mr Otunyo had pleaded guilty in April to two counts of bank fraud, one count of aggravated identity theft and two counts of conspiracy to commit money laundering.
Mr Otunyo will be placed on four years of supervised release, following his prison term, and his sentence, passed by Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, includes an order to pay restitution of $124,157, and a forfeiture of $303,207.
The court documents outline how six schemes of nine stolen or unauthorized checks from eight victims were carried out. These scams totalled a sum of $355,745.29.
Between August 2017 and 2018, Mr Otunyo and his posse obtained stolen or unauthorized checks from victims, set up shell companies and bank accounts, and deposited or attempted to clear the checks before laundering the resulting proceeds. The scams were carried out using fake identification and names.
Mr Otunyo was originally indicted on August 16, 2018 for two counts of bank fraud and one count of aggravated identity theft. He was arrested on August 29, 2018, and arraigned the same day.
He initially agreed to a debriefing session with the government to explore the possibility of cooperating in hopes that he would receive a visa to remain in the United States, in exchange for his cooperation.
He provided the government with his iPhone password, which he later alleged the government used to discover evidence that led to two additional charges.
Mr Otunyo then further alleged that his participation at the debriefing session “was not done in a knowing and intelligent manner and therefore, any evidence obtained from this session should not be used against him.”
Three of Mr Otunyo’s co-conspirators have been charged following the investigation by the FBI’s Washington Field Office and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation-Office of Inspector General.
In June 2019, Chief Judge Howell sentenced Michael Orji to 10 years in prison, five years of supervised release, and $905,274 in restitution payments.
Another Nigerian in Mr Otunyo’s gang, Samson Olawale Afolabi, pleaded guilty to the charges leveled against him and is awaiting sentencing on Oct. 1, 2021.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Arsenal beat Coventry City 3-0 in Premier League opener
Kai Havertz found the back of the net in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Africa
DR Congo’s Ebola death toll hits 2,500
He projected that the existing funds will be exhausted in weeks.

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Sport
Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team
The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC.

Education
WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates
The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.






