U.S. designates Sudanese Muslim Brotherhood as terrorist organisation

The United States has officially designated the Sudanese Muslim Brotherhood (SMB) a terrorist organisation, followed by plans to list it among foreign terrorist groups.
The State Department in a statement on Monday said the SMB, composed of the Sudanese Islamic Movement and its armed wing, the al-Baraa Bin Malik Brigade (BBMB), have perpetrated widespread violence against civilians in Sudan’s ongoing conflict.
It said, “Today, the Department of State announces the designation of the Sudanese Muslim Brotherhood as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist and the intent to designate the group as a Foreign Terrorist Organisation.
”The Sudanese Muslim Brotherhood (SMB), composed of the Sudanese Islamic Movement and its armed wing—the al-Baraa Bin Malik Brigade (BBMB)—uses unrestrained violence against civilians to undermine efforts to resolve the conflict in Sudan and advance its violent Islamist ideology.”
The Department of State further accused the SMB of contributing a total of 20,000 fighters to the war in Sudan, as well as receiving training and support from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
It added that the SMB had incessantly perpetrated the killings of thousands of civilians based on race, ethnicity, or a perceived affiliation with the opposite group in territories they had captured.
”SMB’s BBMB fighters have conducted mass executions of civilians in areas they captured and repeatedly and summarily executed civilians based on race, ethnicity, or perceived affiliation with opposition groups,” it said.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of the Treasury had earlier designated the al-Baraa Bin Malik Brigade in September 2025 under Executive Order 14098, citing its role in destabilising Sudan and undermining efforts toward a democratic transition.
It said, “Terrorist designations expose and isolate entities and individuals, denying them access to the U.S. financial system and the resources they need to carry out attacks.”
The statement added that property and interests belonging to the Sudanese Muslim Brotherhood within the United States or under the control of U.S. persons were blocked, and that any business association with the group was prohibited.
The U.S therefore warned, “that individuals or entities engaging in certain transactions with the organisation could face secondary sanctions under U.S. counterterrorism authorities.”
It stated that the move was taken in alignment with Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act and Executive Order 13224, adding that all listed groups will “go into effect upon publication in the Federal Register.”
The U.S. further urged groups designated as Foreign Terrorist Groups that seek a removal of their name from “the Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List” to reach the Department of State’s Delisting Guidance page.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Six-year-old pupil collapses, dies after teacher’s scolding over homework
The pupil’s father said his son had no health issues before leaving home.

States
Gov Abdulrazaq poorly managing Kwara APC ahead of 2027 elections: Senator Mustapha
Saliu Mustapha, the lawmaker representing Kwara Central, has accused Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of poorly managing members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state

World
TikTok to pay $400 million in settlement to U.S. govt over children’s privacy litigation
The settlement represents one of the largest recoveries ever obtained in a COPPA case.

Africa
Paul Biya returns to Cameroon after spending more than two months in Europe
Mr Biya left the country on June 7.

Lagos
NEPA/PHCN retirees protest against non-payment of pension arrears, entitlements
Mr Dunmoye said the pensioners repeatedly engaged relevant authorities over the issues but had yet to get a satisfactory resolution.

States
Troops nab suspected gunrunner in Plateau
According to the army, the operation was carried out with vigilantes and local hunters.






