U.S. government opens criminal investigation into Colombian President Gustavo Petro

Months after capturing Venezuelan president Nicholas Maduro, the U.S. government has opened a criminal investigation into Colombian President Gustavo Petro.
The New York Times on Friday reported that “President Gustavo Petro of Colombia, who has had a volatile relationship with President Trump, is under criminal investigation by at least two U.S. federal prosecutors’ offices.”
Citing three sources familiar with the matter, the report stated that “The investigations, which have not been previously reported, were being conducted by the U.S. attorney’s offices in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and they have involved prosecutors who focus on international narcotics trafficking as well as agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and Homeland Security Investigations.”
According to the report, the inquiries have been exploring, among other things, Mr Petro’s possible meetings with drug traffickers and whether his presidential campaign solicited donations from traffickers.
Earlier in January, U.S. forces invaded Venezuela, capturing Mr Maduro and ferrying him down to the U.S. to face charges on drug trafficking.
After Mr Maduro’s capture, Mr Trump threatened similar military action against Colombia’s president, saying repeating “such an operation sounds good to” him.
However, Mr Petro, a former rebel, vowed to take up arms in self and territorial defence of his country, following threats of invasion from Mr Trump.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Mother, three children die in Yobe fire outbreak
The statement said that surviving household members were left homeless and in profound distress.

Heading 1
Troops killed 40 terrorists, foiled attacks, recovered weapons nationwide in one day: Army
The report said the successes were recorded between August 21 and August 22.

Sport
Gov. Aiyedatiwa appoints chairman for Ondo sports council
The governor said the appointments were part of efforts to reposition sports development in the state.

NationWide
NCC @37: Commission honours five former DGs, 12 retired directors
Mr Ekpo said Mr Obasanjo provided free land that enabled the commission to carry out an expansion programme.

Faith
Emir of Rano to lead Kano pilgrims for 2027 Hajj: Gov. Yusuf
The CPS said that the emir and the emirate thanked the governor for the singular honour.

Heading 2
Troops kill one suspected kidnapper, arrest two others in Benue
Mr Zubairu noted that the other members of the group fled in disarray.






