U.S. has spent $37.5 billion on Iran war: Hegseth

U.S. War Secretary Pete Hegseth said on Tuesday that America has so far spent nearly $37.5 billion on the war in Iran.
“The estimate we have as of today is $37.5 billion,” Mr Hegseth said when asked by Democratic Senator Dick Durbin how much the war had cost the U.S.
Mr Hegseth disclosed the figure during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, where he defended the Trump administration’s $67 billion funding request for the war.
As of mid-May, a senior Pentagon official estimated that the war had cost the U.S. nearly $29 billion.
“We live in a dangerous world,” Mr Hegseth said in his testimony, noting that it required urgent and bold actions. However, his remarks drew criticism from people who protested against the war in Iran.
“Without these funds, we face critical shortfalls that threaten our ability to simply pay our service members, rapidly replenish equipment and munitions, and sustain vital operations without disruption,” he added.
He said the funds would be utilised to build the U.S. military’s “lethality” and “reinforce peace through strength”.
According to him, former President Joe Biden’s administration left the country’s budget in “disaster,” and the military must be adequately funded to keep America safe.
Mr Hegseth’s remarks come amid escalating tensions between the U.S. and Iran, with Washington continuing to launch strikes against Tehran.
The attacks have lasted for 10 consecutive nights, with the latest carried out “in honour” of three slain soldiers whom Mr Trump described as “great patriots.”
“Well, we feel very badly. But you know, those great people, those great patriots, were out there fighting so that Iran could not have a nuclear weapon,” Mr Trump said. “Iran has been very, very badly damaged. They’ve lost everything almost militarily. They’ve got very little left.”
According to state news agency IRNA, Tehran has also struck two oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz and U.S. military assets in Bahrain, Kuwait, and Jordan.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz
Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11
Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport
Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title
Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

NationWide
Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits
The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States
Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire
The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz
Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office
Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres







