Saturday, August 22, 2026

U.S.-Nigerian forces launch third attack on ISIS camp in North-East

The third airstrike followed operations carried out on Monday.

• May 19, 2026
Troops (Photo Credit: Daily Post Nigeria)

The U.S. and Nigerian forces launched the third round of airstrikes in the North-East.

The U.S. Africa Command announced in a statement on Tuesday that the airstrikes followed Monday’s operations.

“On May 18, #AFRICOM conducted counter-terrorism efforts in coordination with Nigeria against an ISIS fighter camp in NE Nigeria,” the statement said. “No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed.”

The first airstrikes carried out by the U.S. and Nigerian forces reportedly killed ISIS’s second-in-command, Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki.

Mr Al-Mainuki, 44, a Nigerian born in Mainok, Borno, was designated a global terrorist by the U.S. on June 8, 2023.

The U.S.-Nigerian forces have since continued to bombard ISIS terrorists in their enclaves, carrying out two separate strikes on Sunday and Monday.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

MultiChoice

NationWide

EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay

One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

President Donald Trump and Mark Carney

World

Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods

Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

Gunmen

States

Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers

The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Abdulaziz Yari

Heading 2

2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election

Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.