Tuesday, August 18, 2026

U.S. prosecutor asks judge to delay all proceedings in Trump case

Mr Trump defeated Mrs Harris on Monday to return to the White House.

• November 8, 2024
Donald Trump
Donald Trump

United States prosecutor Jack Smith has asked a judge in Washington to put on hold all filing deadlines in the federal case accusing Donald Trump, the country’s president-elect, of plotting to overturn the 2020 election. 

Mr Smith’s request to pause the case comes as prosecutors mulled the idea of whether to put the proceedings on hold now that Mr Trump returns to the White House. 

On Friday, Mr Smith told Judge Tanya Chutkan that vacating the schedule of remaining pretrial deadlines will give his team the time to assess “this unprecedented circumstance” of Mr Trump’s electoral victory and determine the appropriate course going forward consistent with Department of Justice policy.”

“By December 2024, the government will file a status report or otherwise inform the court of the result of its deliberations,’ Mr Smith wrote in a filing. 

Although Ms Chutkan endorsed that deadline in her order, she vacated the other deadlines. 

Mr Smith’s filing said “is expected to be certified as president-elect on Jan. 6, 2025, and inaugurated on Jan. 20, 2025.”

“The government respectfully requests that the court vacate the remaining deadlines in the pretrial schedule to afford the government time to assess this unprecedented circumstance and determine the appropriate course going forward consistent with Department of Justice policy,” he said. 

Mr Trump’s win against Vice President Kamala Harris earlier this week was considered a death knell for Mr Smith’s prosecutions of him. 

The president-elect is charged in the case before Ms Chutkan with crimes related to his efforts to undo his loss to President Joe Biden in the 2020 election. 

Mr Trump had been charged with crimes related to retaining classified government records after leaving the White House In early 202q, and with obstructing efforts by officials to recover those documents. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

Naira Marley and Buba Marwa

States

NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria

The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.

Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Zamfara Accord Party governorship candidate hails Adeleke

Zamfara Accord Party governorship flag bearer Musa Yusuf-Garba felicitated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in the August 15 Osun election.