U.S. won’t declare Nigerien soldiers who removed President Bazoum coup plotters to preserve its interest

The United States government is refraining from labelling the overthrow of Niger’s democratic government a coup and the military junta coup plotters as a precautionary move to preserve America’s interest.
The visit of U.S. acting deputy secretary of state, Victoria Nuland, to Niger on Monday met a dead-end as she disclosed that the junta refused to grant her an audience with the deposed President Mohamed Bazoum and junta leader, General Abdourahmane Tchiani.
She, however, met with the putschists’ chief of defence, Moussa Salaou Barmou, a general trained by the American military forces, who justified the takeover and insisted that Mr Bazoum would continue to be detained.
But the restraint the U.S. is exercising from declaring the overthrow a coup is only a means to an end, a bargaining chip to ensure that democracy is restored to Niger, officials acquainted with the matter told NBC.
Once the U.S. government declares the ousting of Mr Bazoum a coup, Niger would cease to benefit from all manner of training and financial aid from the U.S. as previously enjoyed.
So far, they believe the junta is unwilling to give up those benefits.
Knowing what the junta wants and their capacity to provide it will be used to negotiate their demands, ultimately to return Niger to the leadership of its democratically-elected president, Mr Bazoum, whose release they are also fighting for.
“We are trying to leverage the support that we have that we know they want,” a U.S. official told NBC.
Officials who accompanied Ms Nuland to Niger had earlier said the putschists had grown defiant and unmoving in their mission to keep ruling the nation while holding the elected president hostage. But they were hopeful the holdoff from labelling it a coup may yield the desired outcome.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Tinubu’s fuel subsidy removal enriched governors, made life unbearable for Nigerians: Donald Duke
Mr Duke accused the Tinubu administration of implementing economic policies that enriched government coffers rather than the people.

Politics
Tinubu appoints Gov Sanwo-Olu as 2027 campaign South-West coordinator
Mr Sanwo-Olu, who is also chairman of the South-West Governors’ Forum, will coordinate the party’s campaign activities across Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo and Ekiti states.

States
NDLEA raids six drug black spots in Jigawa, arrests eight suspects
Mr Wada said the command recovered 43.96 grams of assorted illicit drugs.

Abuja
Wike orders crackdown on car dealers operating in Abuja green areas
Mr Wike said defaulting vehicles would be impounded and auctioned, and their locations permanently shut down.

States
Police rescue 13 abducted passengers in Benue
Orchia Peter Aondongu, the Benue police command’s spokesman, said the victims were kidnapped the previous Friday while travelling from Enugu to Abuja.

Economy
Recapitalisation: Shareholders seek deadline extension for insurers
Mr Okezie said withdrawing licences from companies making genuine efforts could hurt shareholders and investors whose funds remained tied up in affected firms.






