Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Uganda again shuts Internet ahead of presidential election

President Yoweri Museveni and 43-year-old Robert Kyagulanyi, popularly called Bobi Wine, are the candidates for the election.

and • January 13, 2026
Uganda/President Yoweri Museveni

Despite repeated denials dismissing reports to cut off Internet, Uganda Communications Commission has announced an indefinite suspension of Internet and social media platforms effective 6:00 p.m. Tuesday.

It noted that the ban was highly recommended by the Inter-Agency Security Committee.

In a statement on Tuesday, the UCC said the ban became imperative as a precautionary move to avert the spread of misinformation at a critical period for the nation at it goes to the poll on Thursday.

President Yoweri Museveni and 43-year-old Robert Kyagulanyi, popularly called Bobi Wine, are the candidates for the election.

“This measure is necessary to mitigate the rapid spread of online misinformation, disinformation, electoral fraud and related risks, as well as preventing incitement of violence,” said the directive issued on Tuesday.

The UCC further banned the sale and registration of new sim cards and roaming services to One Network Area countries.

The commission warned Internet providers to withhold access to social media platforms but avail it to health care services and the electoral bodies to conduct elections on Thursday, warning that erring providers would be sanctioned.

The suspension, the UCC said, “will remain in force until a restoration notice is issued by the UCC. During this period, all non-essential public internet traffic must be blocked.”

“Public internet traffic includes but not limited to social media platforms, web browsing, video streaming, personal email services, and messaging applications among others. The suspension applies to Mobile Broadband (Cellular), Fibre Optic, Leased Lines, Fixed Wireless Access, Microwave Radio Links, and Satellite Internet Services,” the circular added.

Based on this directive, local news publisher will not be provide real-time updates on the elections.

It was believed that Mr Museveni employed the same tactic in 2021 to hold onto power, a decision that sparked deadly protests on Ugandan streets leaving many injured and a few dead.

Since becoming president in 1986, Mr Museveni has refused to step down for other politicians and was favoured by the parliament in 2005 when lawmakers scrapped the limit a president can remain in power.

The UCC earlier this year terminated Elon Musk-owned Starlink Satellite services, asserting that the foreign network was not properly licensed to provide internet in Uganda.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.