Tuesday, August 18, 2026

UGM swoop on Akwa Ibom police divisions, kill officer

Police spokesman said the attackers drove into the station in two vehicles wielding dangerous weapons including AK-47 rifles.

• May 12, 2021
Gunmen
Gunmen used to illustrate the story

The Akwa Ibom Police Command has confirmed the death of a police officer as unknown gunmen attacked police divisional headquarters in Etim Ekpo Local Government Area of the state. Another police division was unsuccessfully attacked, a spokesman added.

The attack which occurred on Wednesday morning came barely three days after gunmen wreaked havoc on a Divisional Police Headquarters in Odoro Ikpe, Ini Local Government Area, killing six police officers and a civilian.

Social media accounts detailed that vehicles, and other valuables were destroyed by the gunmen during the attack on two different police facilities at 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday.

Confirming the attack in a statement on Wednesday, police spokesman in Akwa Ibom, Odiko Macdon, said the attackers were repelled by officers on duty.

Mr Macdon said the attackers drove into the station in two vehicles wielding dangerous weapons including AK-47 rifles.

He further disclosed that the deceased police constable identified as Edogi Bassey was killed while trying to repel the attackers at the early hours of Wednesday.

 “At about 6:30 a.m. today, armed men in their numbers, armed with AK 47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, in two vehicles attacked the rented building housing the Etim Ekpo Area Command and Division,” Mr Macdon said

“Unfortunately, a dedicated officer, one PC Edogi Bassey, paid the supreme price while a small portion of the building was torched,” he added.

After being repelled at the Etim Ekpo police division, the gunmen failed at another attempt to attack Ika division.

Former police inspector general Mohammed Adamu while in office, accused the proscribed Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) of carrying out the deadly campaigns in the South-South and South-East regions.

Attacks on security facilities have further escalated since security forces eliminated IPOB commander Ikonso at his Awomamma village in April.

Attacks on police facilities in the regions have forced the police command in Delta state to ask its officers to desist from taking up escort duties to specific states in the South-South and South-East region till the region’s security situation improves.

The worrisome spate of attacks across the country continue to raise concerns on President Muhammadu Buhari’s capacity to adequately address the country’s worsening security situation.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Tinubu and Keir Starmer

Opinion

Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal

To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

Local drug store

States

Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

Peter Mbah and Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)

States

Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike

The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.

States

Gov. Idris okays N2 billion, buses for seven Kebbi tertiary institutions

Mr Abubakar-Tunga said the buses were meant to enhance mobility, welfare, and learning conditions across the institutions.

Nigerian Correctional Service

NationWide

NCoS urges inmates to deepen religious values, build character

Mr David urged inmates in custodial centres to let religion take deeper root in their character to achieve desired reformation.