UN warns Buhari regime of ‘catastrophic’ hunger in Nigeria
The United Nations has called on President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime to commit more resources and to implement mitigation measures to save lives and prevent a potentially catastrophic food security and nutrition situation.
UN associate spokeswoman Stephanie Tremblay, who made the call at a news conference in New York, also called on the donor community and public and private stakeholders to commit resources to address food insecurity in the country.
According to her, nearly 25 million Nigerians are at risk of hunger between June and August this year if urgent action is not taken.
“This is according to the October 2022 – we call that in French – Cadre Harmonisé, a food and nutrition analysis led by the government of Nigeria, in partnership with the Food and Agriculture Organisation, UNICEF and the World Food Programme,” said Ms Tremblay.
The UN official explained that continued conflict, climate change, inflation and rising food prices were the key drivers of this alarming trend, noting that children were the most vulnerable to food insecurity.
Meanwhile, speaking on the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the spokesperson said the secretary-general strongly condemned the deadly attack at a church in Kasindi on Sunday, in the North Kivu province, in Congo’s east.
She said UN peacekeeping colleagues on the ground had reported that the casualty toll increased to 13 civilians killed and 76 injured, of whom 19 were in critical condition.
“The UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is providing medical evacuation by air and road to the injured, in coordination, of course, with Congolese authorities. The UN mission’s ambulances and medical teams are also on standby to reinforce national capacities if required,” Ms Tremblay said.
According to her, the secretary-general stressed the need to hold the perpetrators of this attack to account.
She further said the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) was supporting the Congolese authorities in investigating the incident’s circumstances.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
Meningitis: Avoid overcrowded, poorly ventilated areas, doctor cautions
The medical professional advised Nigerians to get vaccinated against meningitis and stay up-to-date with booster doses.
EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu pays court-awarded N5 million damages to Lagos Uber driver
Mr Adedotun Clement was assaulted on October 20, 2021, by officials of the Lagos State Neighborhood Safety Agency and police officers at the Lekki Tollgate.
Abacha’s ex-Chief of General Staff, Oladipo Diya, dies at 79
“Our dear Daddy passed onto glory in the early hours of 26th March 2023,” reads a family statement announcing his demise.
Morocco beat Brazil 2-1 in international friendly
Saturday’s win against five-time World Cup winner Brazil was another statement that Moroccans World Cup performance last year was not a fluke.
Ohanaeze vows to ‘deal with political rascals,’ says Yorubas not at war with Igbos in Lagos
The statement comes a week after the Lagos governorship election, which was marred by voters intimidation, violence and ethic slurs.
2023 census technology cannot be manipulated, FG assures Nigerians
Nigerians have been asked to ensure that they’re counted during the conduct of the 2023 National Population and Housing Census.