UNHCR mobilises staff, resources to combat displacements as Middle East crisis escalates

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, UNHCR, says it is mobilising staff and resources across the Middle East as escalating hostilities trigger fresh displacements in countries already hosting millions of refugees and internally displaced people.
The UNHCR spokesperson, Babar Baloch in a press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, on Monday, said that the agency was mobilising support from Iran and Afghanistan to other regional countries such as Lebanon and Syria to support residents fleeing their homes as the regional crisis intensifies.
The UNHCR noted that it was closely monitoring the situation in Iran where it maintained presence over four decades ago.
They agency said, “Many affected countries already host millions of refugees and internally displaced people. Given its footprint in the region, UNHCR is ready to play a leading role in the emergency responses.
”UNHCR is closely monitoring the situation inside Iran, where it has had a presence since 1984 and is the largest UN agency, with offices in Tehran and five field locations. For now, we cannot confirm the number of people on the move within the country. But the situation is fluid, and the agency is ready to assist as requested by governments.”
The agency noted that Iran hosts a sum 1.65 million refugees and other internally displaced persons in need of international protection.
It added that the UNHCR reception centres and helplines remain open, providing counselling and support, while services such as health, education and social protection continue despite logistical challenges.
The agency further noted that even before the latest escalation, refugees in Iran were facing hardship due to high inflation, rising living costs and limited access to employment.
It said, “Even before this conflict, refugees in Iran were impacted by the country’s dire economic situation. High inflation and a rising cost of living have eroded fragile incomes, while limited access to employment left many struggling to meet their needs. Tighter residency controls and deportations increased insecurity, pushing some Afghans to return home under difficult conditions.”
The UNHCR therefore urged countries to keep borders to assist those fleeing violence, warning that any rejection would amount to refoulement.
It said, “Movements at the Türkiye–Iran border remain within the usual range, while crossings at the Islam Qala border between Afghanistan and Iran and at the Armenian border have been limited”
The agency expressed concerns about conditions in Afghanistan, stressing that the protection of civilians, including refugees and returnees, must remain a priority.
It added, “Since October 2023, about 5.4 million Afghans have returned from Iran and Pakistan, many not by choice. And in 2026 alone, more than 232,500 Afghans have returned with 146,206 from Pakistan and 86,253 from Iran.”
The UNHCR also warned that mass and hasty returns could heighten protection risk and further contribute to instability in Afghanistan and the region.
It stated, “Recent hostilities between Afghanistan and Pakistan continue, displacing thousands in Kunar and Nangarhar provinces.”
The agency alongside its partner expressed readiness to respond to any increase in returns, “though resources are already significantly stretched following recent large-scale returns and funding shortfalls.”
”UNHCR’s capacity to assist returnees has been significantly reduced due to funding cuts,” It said.
It noted that $454.2 million in 2026 would be required to protect and assist forcibly displaced people in Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and Central Asia, adding as of February ending, only 15 per cent had been received.
The agency further noted that as of Monday, around 30,000 people were being hosted and registered at government-designated collective shelters due to the heavy displacements.
It added that the displacements were in southern Lebanon, the Bekaa and the southern suburbs of Beirut following Israel’s evacuation warnings to residents of more than 53 villages amid intense airstrikes across the country.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 1
Ogogo: Colleagues hold prayer session for ailing Nollywood actor
He prayed God Almighty to give Mr Hassan’s family, friends, and colleagues the strength to stand by the actor.

States
Zulum assures parents FG, Borno working to rescue 44 Borno pupils
Mr Zulum expressed sympathy to the affected families.

World
U.S. court sets one-month timeline for FBI to explain why Tinubu criminal records should stay secret
The judge requested the agency to file its final response on September 18, 2026.

Heading 5
Six-year-old pupil collapses, dies after teacher’s scolding over homework
The pupil’s father said his son had no health issues before leaving home.

States
Gov Abdulrazaq poorly managing Kwara APC ahead of 2027 elections: Senator Mustapha
Saliu Mustapha, the lawmaker representing Kwara Central, has accused Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of poorly managing members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state







