Venezuela Earthquake: Death toll rises to 1,430

The death toll from two powerful earthquakes that struck Venezuela earlier this week has risen to 1,430.
National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, who disclosed this in a televised broadcast on Saturday, also reported 3,238 injuries following Wednesday’s 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude earthquakes.
He noted that more than 3,000 others were left homeless, adding that 432 aftershocks had been recorded.
Mr Rodriguez had earlier said that 920 people had died, with at least 172 people still believed to be trapped in the rubble.
With rescue efforts underway, hundreds of buildings collapsed as the earthquakes ripped through La Guaira state, Venezuela’s port town, and parts of Caracas, the capital of the South American country.
Mr Rodriguez advised people to avoid La Guaira, which he said was “the most devastated” of all the areas affected by the disaster.
“Avoid to go to the state of La Guaira in order to facilitate rescue efforts. The place has been heavily militarised. Allow us to do our job. If you want to help us, stay at home,” he added.
Since the incident occurred, emergency responders, including teams from across the European Union, had commenced search operations in the nation’s hardest-hit areas.
The international community, including the United Nations, the American government and the Catholic Pope, had also sympathised with Venezuela over the devastating earthquakes, pledging support for the country.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized
Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos
Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

Port Harcourt
UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children
The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them.

States
Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction
Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Heading 1
Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police
Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido.

Hot news Home top
Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.
She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.







