Waste pickers commit to zero waste initiative

The Association of Scraps and Wastes Pickers of Lagos (ASWOL) has expressed its commitment to the zero-waste initiative and its management.
The association’s president, Friday Oku, disclosed this in an interview with journalists on Sunday in Lagos.
Mr Oku said the association was intensifying efforts to support zero waste in the state through the organisation and structured engagement of its members.
He noted that challenges, including the ban on scavenging and cart pushing, had affected operations, but members remained resolute.
According to him, integration of waste pickers into the formal waste management value chain is key to achieving sustainable results.
Mr Oku urged households to segregate waste at source to enable the recovery of recyclable materials, while residual waste is handled by PSP operators.
He said effective segregation would reduce the volume of waste disposed of at dumpsites and strengthen recycling across the state.
Mr Oku described the ongoing engagements with the Lagos Waste Management Authority as productive.
He said data collection on waste pickers had commenced in collaboration with the Lagos State Waste Management Authority across clusters and local government areas.
The president added that more than 100 members had benefited from a train-the-trainer workshop on zero waste management and occupational health and safety.
He added that personal protective equipment had been distributed to improve safety standards among members.
Mr Oku explained that the association’s roadmap aims to transition waste pickers from an unrecognised status to formal integration within the waste management system.
He said formalisation would enhance livelihoods and create green jobs for youths and women, while promoting climate action and sustainable circular-economy practices.
Mr Oku expressed optimism that a pilot scheme would begin after the state government completes the necessary documentation.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Six-year-old pupil collapses, dies after teacher’s scolding over homework
The pupil’s father said his son had no health issues before leaving home.

States
Gov Abdulrazaq poorly managing Kwara APC ahead of 2027 elections: Senator Mustapha
Saliu Mustapha, the lawmaker representing Kwara Central, has accused Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of poorly managing members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state

World
TikTok to pay $400 million in settlement to U.S. govt over children’s privacy litigation
The settlement represents one of the largest recoveries ever obtained in a COPPA case.

Africa
Paul Biya returns to Cameroon after spending more than two months in Europe
Mr Biya left the country on June 7.

Lagos
NEPA/PHCN retirees protest against non-payment of pension arrears, entitlements
Mr Dunmoye said the pensioners repeatedly engaged relevant authorities over the issues but had yet to get a satisfactory resolution.

States
Troops nab suspected gunrunner in Plateau
According to the army, the operation was carried out with vigilantes and local hunters.






