Monday, August 17, 2026

We’ll deal with appointees failing to defend Ekiti govt amid attacks by opposition: Gov. Oyebanji

Mr Oyebanji called for a corresponding action and urged his supporters to take control of online narratives about his administration.

• August 23, 2025
Abiodun Oyebanji
Abiodun Oyebanji

Ekiti State Governor Biodun Oyebanji has berated the hypocritical attitudes of some political appointees, whom he said have refused to defend his administration against criticisms.

The governor, in an address to the Ekiti State University (EKSU) Alumni Solidarity Group members, who presented a gubernatorial nomination form to him, accused the appointees of “eating from both sides”.

He rebuked the silence and inconsistent loyalty of certain cabinet members as his administration faced criticisms by the opposition.

Mr Oyebanji called for a corresponding action and urged his supporters to take control of online narratives about his administration.

“We need to seize the social media space. It’s not that they’re winning the battle, but some political appointees, because they are eating from both sides, can’t even come out to defend the government,” Mr Oyebanji said.

”Very few of them are on platforms where our government faces a barrage of attacks, and they will keep mute. They won’t be able to talk, and they are collecting monthly salaries.

The governor promised to deal with the appointees at the appropriate time.

”I’m marking them one by one, but I won’t say anything now. But be assured that those of you who are on platforms where opposition is dragging us, and you choose to keep quiet while you collect salaries from this administration, we will come back to you at the appropriate time,” he said.

Mr Oyebanji’s reaction follows an earlier raised alarm over what he described as a planned coordinated media attack against his administration.

Alleging that some members of the All Progressives Congress were behind the purported attack, the chief press secretary to the governor, Yinka Oyebode, in a statement on Friday, claimed that over 150 individuals, including influencers, had been paid to launch an attack on the governor’s performance.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2

FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries 

Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village

States

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara 

The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Peter Obi

Heading 5

Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun

The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence. 

flooding in Abuja.

Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas

According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system. 

Awoniyi in Conventy City shirt 

Sport

Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi  from Nottingham Forest 

In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.