WFP seeks support as Ebola cases top 3,200 in DRC

The World Food Programme has appealed for immediate funding to address hunger as Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo rose to 3,200.
WFP’s acting executive director, Carl Skau, in a statement on Wednesday, warned that deepening hunger had been undermining the response to an Ebola outbreak.
According to Mr Skau, WFP is urgently scaling up food assistance, logistics, telecommunications and air services in eastern DRC, where Ebola has evolved from a localised health emergency into the fastest-spreading outbreak on record.
Declared in eastern DRC on May 15, the Ebola outbreak is the fastest-growing on record. Full-blown Ebola caused by the Bundibugyo virus is marked by severe bleeding and a fatality rate of around 40 per cent.
The UN emergency food agency noted that Ebola is not only a health crisis but also a threat multiplier for communities already facing conflict, displacement and hunger.
It stated that without urgent, flexible support, families may be forced to choose between complying with public health measures and finding food, undermining containment and deepening an already severe humanitarian crisis.
“Ebola feeds on delay, fear and hunger,” Mr Skau said. “Stopping this outbreak requires all hands on deck and communities at the centre. Food assistance is frontline Ebola containment. It helps families stay home, supports safe isolation, builds trust with communities and keeps health teams moving. We know what works; what we need now is the speed and resources to scale it before this outbreak outruns the response.”
This is the largest Ebola outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo virus to date, according to the latest update from the World Health Organisation. Authorities said 48 health zones across five provinces in eastern DRC are affected: Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Tshopo and Haut-Uele.
Ituri, the outbreak’s epicentre, remains one of the country’s most severe hunger hotspots, with 1.9 million people facing crisis levels of food insecurity or worse.
More than 2.65 million people in the 48 Ebola-affected health zones face acute food insecurity, including more than 628,000 people in emergency conditions, according to the UN-backed global monitor Integrated Food Security Phase Classification.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Let us debate issues, Tinubu challenges Atiku, Obi ahead of 2027 presidential poll
Let us campaign on superior ideas. Let us debate issues and promote the best policies to expand opportunities for our people.

Uncategorized
Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos
Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

Port Harcourt
UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children
The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them.

States
Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction
Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Heading 1
Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police
Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido.







