Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Wike meets area council chairpersons, NUT, NANS over teachers’ strike

The meeting, according to a statement by NANS on Wednesday, is to finalise modalities for the reopening of all public primary schools in the FCT.

• July 2, 2025
FCT minister Nyesom Wike
FCT minister Nyesom Wike

FCT minister Nyesom Wike will meet with chairpersons of FCT area councils and leadership of the Nigeria Union of Teachers and National Association of Nigerian Students on Thursday.

The meeting, according to a statement by NANS on Wednesday, is to finalise modalities for the reopening of all public primary schools in the FCT.

The statement was signed by NANS national president Olushola Oladoja and spokesman Adeyemi Ajasa.

The association explained that it had earlier resolved to stage a mass protest on Wednesday morning at the Federal Capital Territory Administration secretariat.

It added that its leadership was invited to a high-level engagement at the State Security Service headquarters, where the issues at hand were thoroughly discussed in the interest of national security and students’ welfare.

It stated that the first meeting at the SSS paved the way for a second strategic meeting with Muktar Betara, the chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on FCT.

NANS said the engagement revealed the root causes of the ongoing industrial action by the NUT and the efforts made thus far by the Wike-led FCTA.

It added that a third meeting was held with Wike on Tuesday, where the minister explained the issues at hand.

“In a show of responsibility and commitment to resolving the crisis, Wike intervened by proposing a bailout, with FCTA offering to pay 60 per cent of the outstanding arrears while the area councils cover the remaining 40 per cent.

“When it became clear that this arrangement was not yielding desired results, the FCT minister withheld the internally generated revenue of the area councils for the months of May and June, with a plan to utilise these funds to make up the 40 per cent requested of the area council to clear the outstanding arrears owed to teachers.

“That based on this intervention, it was expected that the two-month arrears withheld be ready before the end of the week,” it said.

The association stated that, based on the productive engagements and emerging progress, it hereby suspends the planned protest while keeping a close eye on the implementation of all resolutions reached.

“We reaffirm our commitment to defending the rights of Nigerian students and ensuring that no child is denied access to education due to governmental lapses,” the statement said. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nick Kyrgios.

World

Australian Tennis star Nick Kyrgios suspended after testing positive for cocaine

Mr Kyrgios said, “I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better.”

Pregnant women and UK emblem

Hot news Home top

Beware of fertility treatment, surrogacy, ‘miracle baby’ scams in Nigeria, UK warns citizens 

“If you’re considering fertility treatment in Nigeria, exercise caution,” it said.

Adeleke and his deputy with the certificate.

Uncategorized

Osun: INEC presents certificate of return to Gov. Adeleke, deputy

The governor called on those who contested the election against him to join him in moving the state forward.

Jason Ardy (Credit: FACEBOOK)

Heading 4

Family expresses ‘heartfelt thanks’ as GoFundMe for Cambridge’s youngest Black professor’s funeral hits over £200,000

The family stated, “We have been touched by the messages of love, condolences and acts of kindness during what is a deeply painful time for our family.”

Chidimma Adetshina

Diaspora

South African court adjourns ruling in ex-Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina deportation case until 2027

“We should not allow zenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated. We should always be guided by the spirit of Ubuntu,” Miss Adetshina stated.