Thursday, August 20, 2026

Wike orders crackdown on illegal hospitals, quack doctors after pregnant woman’s death

Mr Wike warned that anyone operating an illegal facility or working in an unregistered health facility should be arrested and prosecuted.

• April 26, 2025
FCT minister Nyesom Wike
FCT minister Nyesom Wike

The Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has directed a total crackdown on unregistered hospitals and quack medical personnel operating in the FCT.

Lere Olayinka, the minister’s media aide, said on Saturday that Mr Wike gave the directive while reacting to the death of a pregnant woman at a private health facility in Durumi, Abuja, after a caesarean section.

According to him, the minister has warned that anyone operating an illegal facility or working in an unregistered health facility should be arrested and prosecuted.

He said it was unfortunate that, despite the free registration of pregnant women in the Federal Capital Territory Health Insurance Scheme (FHIS), most pregnant women still were not taking advantage of the scheme.

“In the FCT, vulnerable persons, including pregnant women, enjoy free enrollment into the FHIS.

“This allows them free access to all services covered in the basic minimum package of health services through the primary health care centres.

“Also, in alignment with the federal government’s ‘Renewed Hope Agenda’ and the Wike-led FCTA’s zero tolerance for maternal mortality, several hospitals in the FCT, including Gwarinpa, Nyanya, Abaji, and Kuje General Hospitals, have been designated as comprehensive emergency obstetric and neonatal care centres. These facilities also offer cesarean sections free of charge,” he said in a statement.

The spokesman urged pregnant women to take advantage of the free health insurance scheme and stop visiting quack medical personnel and unregistered health facilities.

He recalled that on Friday, 35-year-old Chekwube Chinagorom was brought to the Asokoro District Hospital dead.

Mr Olayinka said the woman died following a caesarean section at a hospital in Durumi, Abuja. He said the hospital is an unregistered private facility operating in a substandard and unsafe medical environment.

He added that the baby was delivered alive and had been referred to the Asokoro District Hospital for effective care.

“Investigation conducted by the Private Health Establishments Registration and Monitoring Committee (PHERMC) revealed that the hospital was not duly registered.

“At the time of inspection, only one staff member, Mr Simon Godiya, who identified himself as a junior community health extension worker, was on duty.

“Mr Godiya reported that the surgical operation was performed by one Murtala Jumma in conjunction with another unidentified individual. All attempts to reach Jumma via phone were unsuccessful,” Mr Olayinka said.

Mr Olayinka said the PHERMC team arrived shortly at the facility along with officers from the Nigeria Police, Durumi Divisional Headquarters.

He said the case had been handed over to the Police for further investigation.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.