Yelwata Attack: Assailants are Fulani; held meeting before killing over 200 residents in Benue, witness tells court

The first Prosecution Witness (PW-1), CSP Moses Paul, on Thursday, told a Federal High Court, Abuja Division, how the nine suspected terrorists who allegedly attacked Yelwata Community, Benue State, on June 13, 2025, was arrested.
The witness said the attackers, numbering over 100 and armed with AK47, killed about 150 persons in the incident.
Paul, who is an investigator and member of the Intelligence Response Unit (IRU) of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), told Justice Joyce Abdulmalik while testifying at the resumed trial of the nine men accused of being involved in the attack.
“The number of people that came for the attack in Yelwata were over 100 and they were wielding AK47.
“Investigation into the case is still ongoing. Any moment from now, we may still bring another set of people,” he said.
The nine men are Ardo Lawal Mohammed Dono, Ardo Muhammadu Saidu, Haruna Abdullahi, Yakubu Adamu, Musa Mohammed, Abubakar Adamu, Shaibu Ibrahim, Sale Mohammed and Bako Jibrin.
Led in evidence by the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation (DPPF), Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, the witness said the attack was carried out by Fulanis, who were on a retaliatory mission.
Paul said he knew all the defendants, because he participated in their arrest in three communities in Nasarawa State shortly after the attack.
“On the 13th of June 2025, we received a news of an attack in Yelwata in Benue. I was in Apa, in Benue State on a kidnapping case when we were drafted to immediately move to Yelwata town.
“We moved into the place on June 14 and gathered some information that led to the arrest of the defendants.
“Some of them were arrested in Kadalko (a border town between Benue and Nasarawa State), Ageregu (another border town) and Lafia in Nasarawa State,” the witness said.
Paul said investigation revealed that there was actually an attacked, which led to the killing of over 200 people, with many others injured and property destroyed.
He added: “We learnt over 200 people attacked Yelwata. The attacked was initially planned for Dawudu village, they were repelled and the attackers went into Yelwata, killing over 200 people.
“Yelwata is like a meeting point for displaced people in other villages in Benue State. So, people who were taking refuge in Yelwata were also victims of the attack.”
The witness said he visited Yelwata and was there for almost a month in the course of the investigation.
On why it was only the nine defendants that were brought to court, the witness said they were arrested based on human intelligence gathered through nvestigation.
Paul told the court that the first person to be arrested was Haruna Abdullahi, who was in Ageregu village.
He said Abdullahi admitted during interrogation that he participated in a meeting that was held in the house of Alhaji Ardo Lawal Dono, in Nasarawa State, in which all the Ardos were in attendance, including Ardo Giza, Ardo Kwara and Ardo Giana.
The witness said the meeting dwelt on complaints about the way the Fulani were being treated in Benue, during which Abdullahi claimed that his cows and two of his children had been killed.
He said at the end of first meeting, Ardo Lawan, being the head of Ardos in Nasawa State, he asked them to do what they thought would help them.
Paul said the second meeting was held at Ardo Mohammed Saidu’s (2nd defendant’s) house and agreed to contribute funds to execute the attack.
He added that Abdullahi admitted contributing N300,000 while another participant at the meeting contributed N200,000.
The witness told the court that Abdullahi also told him that Ardo Kadalko (Mohammed Saidu) said he lost about 250 of his cows and two of his children in a place close to Yelwata.
On how the investigators confirmed that the meetings actually held, the witness said they were able to ascertain from the other defendants that the two meetings actually held and that plans for the attack were concluded at their meetings.
Justice Abdulmalik adjourned the matter until Friday for continuation of trial.(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






