YouTube offers millions of dollars to creators to edge out Netflix

YouTube has moved to offer millions of dollars to selected top creators in exchange for exclusivity on the platform to edge out Netflix as competition for creator-driven content escalates.
YouTube is offering creators the money to avoid working with Netflix, Bloomberg reported Thursday, citing sources familiar with the matter. YouTube reportedly asked the creators to upload videos to their channels for a specific period. The report did not specify the time frame.
According to the outlet, the financial incentives would come in different forms, including YouTube funding some content and allocating portions of major brand deals to creators.
It reported that the deals had not yet been finalised, but YouTube and some creators were close to reaching agreements.
Business Insider also reported that YouTube was in talks with “a handful” of creators and that no deadline had been set to finalise the agreements, with one offer reportedly worth “in the millions” in exchange for exclusivity on the video platform.
YouTube has not responded to Peoples Gazette’s inquiry on the alleged offers.
The move comes amid Netflix’s growing efforts to secure content from top creators and licence it on its platform. This further expands competition with YouTube for creator-driven audiences.
Netflix, known primarily for acquiring films and television shows, integrated a podcast section into its streaming app in 2026.
It also signed deals with ‘The Bill Simmons Podcast’ and ‘The Breakfast Club’. Both shows were available on YouTube, but under agreements with the creators, Netflix required that they be removed from YouTube.
It has also licensed content from Ms Rachel and Salish Matter, whose content appears on Netflix and YouTube.
“We want to be in business with the best creators on the planet, wherever they are,” Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said earlier this year.
Mr Sarandos had also insisted that Netflix was superior to YouTube, saying, “I think we’re a better monetisation model.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 1
Youths voted for sickly 90-year-old Tinubu; I’m healthy, ready to serve, love young Nigerians: Atiku
“Why did they choose Tinubu, who is almost 90 years old and is not in good health?” Mr Abubakar said.

Economy
FAAN clarifies ban on Bolt, Uber at Nigerian airports
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) says it has not imposed a blanket ban on e-hailing services such as Uber and Bolt at the nation’s airports.

Faith
Isese Day: Lagos council chairs urge preservation of Yoruba heritage
Some council chairs in Lagos have urged residents to uphold the Yoruba heritage as the state marks the 2026 Isese Day celebration.

Agriculture
Ondo man allegedly kills 77-year-old farmer
The police command in Ondo has arrested a middle-aged man, Omowole Ikulala, for killing a 77-year-old farmer, Boboye Iwasanmi, in the Okitipupa council area.

Kano
Kano LG boosts surveillance with motorcycles for security operatives
The Ghari local government in Kano has distributed motorcycles to security personnel to strengthen security and surveillance in the area.

NationWide
39 ISWAP hostages rescued, one insurgent killed, several terrorists captured: Army
Nigerian troops rescued 39 hostages, killed a terrorist and arrested several suspected terrorist collaborators and criminals in coordinated operations nationwide.






