Thursday, August 20, 2026

YouTube offers millions of dollars to creators to edge out Netflix

YouTube has moved to offer millions of dollars to selected top creators in exchange for exclusivity on the platform to edge out Netflix.

• August 20, 2026
YouTube, Netflix
YouTube, Netflix

YouTube has moved to offer millions of dollars to selected top creators in exchange for exclusivity on the platform to edge out Netflix as competition for creator-driven content escalates.

YouTube is offering creators the money to avoid working with Netflix, Bloomberg reported Thursday, citing sources familiar with the matter. YouTube reportedly asked the creators to upload videos to their channels for a specific period. The report did not specify the time frame.

According to the outlet, the financial incentives would come in different forms, including YouTube funding some content and allocating portions of major brand deals to creators.

It reported that the deals had not yet been finalised, but YouTube and some creators were close to reaching agreements.

Business Insider also reported that YouTube was in talks with “a handful” of creators and that no deadline had been set to finalise the agreements, with one offer reportedly worth “in the millions” in exchange for exclusivity on the video platform.

YouTube has not responded to Peoples Gazette’s inquiry on the alleged offers.

The move comes amid Netflix’s growing efforts to secure content from top creators and licence it on its platform. This further expands competition with YouTube for creator-driven audiences.

Netflix, known primarily for acquiring films and television shows, integrated a podcast section into its streaming app in 2026.

It also signed deals with ‘The Bill Simmons Podcast’ and ‘The Breakfast Club’. Both shows were available on YouTube, but under agreements with the creators, Netflix required that they be removed from YouTube.

It has also licensed content from Ms Rachel and Salish Matter, whose content appears on Netflix and YouTube.

“We want to be in business with the best creators on the planet, wherever they are,” Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said earlier this year.

Mr Sarandos had also insisted that Netflix was superior to YouTube, saying, “I think we’re a better monetisation model.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Economy

Women in business, politics summit to honour 10 Nigerian women

Ten Nigerian women from business, politics and other fields are set to receive honours at the Women in Business and Politics Summit 2026 in Abuja.

Governor Bassey Otu has ordered the immediate release of Dennis Odama

Rights

Gov Otu orders release of his administration’s critic, urges constructive criticism

Mr Odama was arrested on August 12 and imprisoned for criticising the governor for refusing to redeploy the commissioner for sports, whom, he said, was not performing.

Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Investment

Economy

ACCI seeks strong reforms to revive moribund enterprises

ACCI says credible regulation and private-sector partnerships are critical to restoring Nigeria’s moribund enterprises and productive economy.

Adeleke, Oyebamiji, Najeem Salaam

States

BON hails INEC, calls for prosecution of Osun election offenders

The Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria called for the immediate prosecution of all those found to have committed electoral crimes during the Osun governorship election.

Ohanaeze members

Enugu

Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language

Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide has approved academic bursaries for 200 students studying Igbo in universities across Nigeria.

Tinubu signing a document

Education

NELFUND backs Tinubu’s student loan financing

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund commended President Bola Tinubu for directing eligible funds recovered by the EFCC to the fund to support student loan financing.