Sunday, May 26, 2024

Zamfara governor imposes curfew, shuts markets

The government’s decision was to avoid a further breach of peace in the state.

• March 4, 2021
Bello Matawalle
Zamfara State governor, Bello Matawalle (Photo Credit -@Bellomatawalle1)

Zamfara government has declared a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Jangebe town in Talata Mafara Local Government Area.

This came on the heels of bandits attack on the area, abducting some 300 schoolgirls Jangebe.

The markets will remain short until further notice.

The Commissioner for Information, Sulaiman Anka, in a statement, said the government’s decision was to avoid a further breach of peace in the state.

Mr. Anka claimed substantial evidence showed market activities aided and abetted bandits in Jangebe and neighbouring communities.

The police have urged the residents to obey the directive.

On February 26, armed bandits invaded a girls’ school in Zamfara, abducting at least three hundred students from Government Girls’ Secondary School in Jangebe.

The abduction came barely a few weeks after hundreds of schoolboys were abducted in Katsina by bandits, drawing nationwide uproar.

Prior to the girls’ kidnapping, bandits breached a high school in Niger and seized about 29 students and school administrators.

National security sources informed Peoples Gazette that the federal government paid $2.099 million (N800 million) as ransom.

But the students and their teachers were not released after Governor Abubakar Sani-Bello caught wind of the arrangement and instigated a cordoning of the vast forest where the students and their abductors have been held up.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Papua New Guinea’s landslide

World

UN estimates death toll in Papua New Guinea’s landslide to be 670 fatalities

Serhan Aktoprak, the chief of mission at the International Organization for Migration’s office in Papua New Guinea, said over 250 houses were abandoned.

Sean Baker at Cannes festival

Showbiz

Sean Baker’s “Anora” clinches Palme d’Or at Cannes festival

He is the first American director to win the Palme since Terrence Malick’s 2012 victory with “The Tree of Life.” 

Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC)

NationWide

Tinubu’s credit scheme to protect Nigerians from unregistered loan firms: FCCPC

Mr Abdullahi said the scheme will reduce the rate at which Nigerians patronise unregistered loan applications.

Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC)

NationWide

Electricity issues topped customers’ complaints to FCCPC last year

Mr Adullahi said that the MacArthur foundation granted funds to intervene in the electricity sector.

NationWide

Ex-EFCC chairman, Lamorde, dies, corpse to arrive Nigeria from Egypt Monday

He passed away in an Egyptian hospital while undergoing kidney stone surgery.

Dollars

Economy

CBN bans bureau de change operators from street trading of forex

“Street trading of foreign currencies is not allowed.’’