Sunday, August 23, 2026

1,700 Nigerians still in Sudan to be evacuated soon: NiDCOM

Mr Balogun said the briefing stated that the next batch of returnees was expected by flight in “another 12 hours or less, all things being equal”.

• May 6, 2023
Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa
Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa (Credit: Twitter)

The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) says about 1,700 Nigerians remaining in Sudan will be evacuated “in a matter of days.”

Abdur-Rahman Balogun, a spokesperson for NiDCOM, on Saturday, said this was included in the highlights of the multi-agency briefing at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport on Friday.

Mr Balogun said the briefing stated that the next batch of returnees was expected by flight in “another 12 hours or less, all things being equal”.

He also stated that all issues relating to the delay of other flights had been resolved and cleared diplomatically.

Mr Balogun said the briefing stated that the previous flight came aboard Tarco Airline flight B7B3/300 with 128 females and two males.

“First batch was C130 NAF of 102 PAX, and the second batch was Air Peace with PAX 274.

“Max Air with a capacity of 540 PAX, AZMAN Air with 400 PAX and C130 are on ground to evacuate others, while Tarco promised to make two more trips as well as Air Peace on standby.”

According to him, all returnees will be profiled, catered for and provided with post-trauma treatment and counselling.

He further stated that the returnees would also liaise with the Federal Ministry of Education to continue their studies in Nigeria.

All returnees received N100,000 and a bag, courtesy of the Dangote Foundation.

Also, NiDCOM facilitated MTN SIM cards with N25,000 worth of airtime to all returnees.

The Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs provided them with food, while the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) provided vehicles, accommodation and logistics support.

The diplomatic cover was provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Refugees Commission promised social support for all the returnees.

Also, a lady put to bed in Port Sudan, and both the baby and the mother are doing great and will be brought back soon.

Mr Balogun said that a Nigerian, who sustained a hand injury, has been treated and discharged from the hospital.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

APC LOGO

States

Abia APC pardons erring members, close ranks ahead of 2027 governorship poll 

Mr Chukwu urged members to remain committed to the APC’s objectives and programmes in Abia State.

States

Oyetola remains Osun APC political leader despite governorship loss, says forum

Mr Ajilore also urged members to recognise and respect those who consistently demonstrated commitment to the party.

Governor Alex Otti

States

Abia@35: Gov. Otti thanks residents for prayers, sacrifices

Mr Otti said the anniversary provided an opportunity for residents to acknowledge God’s role in the state’s journey and development.

National Orientation Agency (NOA)

NationWide

37 women trained in 12-week leadership, mentorship programme for national development 

Mr Olukoyede urged the beneficiaries to lead with purpose, serve others and uphold integrity.