Tuesday, October 4, 2022

1,840 boys, 363 girls now removed from soldiers fighting Boko Haram: CJTF

The commander said the task force had ensured that no child was recruited or used to fight terrorists ravaging the state.

• February 15, 2022
Child soldier
Child soldier

The Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) in Borno announced it disengaged 12,203 children within its rank and file in compliance with the UN Convention against the use of child soldiers. CJTF commander Abati Isa, disclosed this known in Maiduguri on Monday during an event to commemorate this year’s international day against the use of child soldiers.

The CJTF was established by the Borno government in 2013 to assist security forces in fighting Boko Haram.

“The CJTF was listed in the annexes of the Secretary-General’s Report on Children and Armed Conflict in April 2016 for child recruitment and use. However, in September 2017, the Country Task Force on Monitoring and Reporting (CTFMR), in collaboration with UNICEF and other partners, signed an Action Plan with the CJTF to put an end to child recruitment and use,” explained Mr Isa. “Following that, the CJTF, with the support of the CTFMR and the Borno State Ministry of Justice (MOJ), took significant steps to put an end to this practice. Significant progress has been made by the CJTF in implementing the Action Plan, including standing orders to all commanders and their sectors to stop recruiting children and the separation of 2,203 children
(363 girls, 1,840 boys) from the group’s rank and file.”

He also announced that “as a result of this significant achievement, the secretary-general has delisted the group” from the annexes of the annual report on CAAC.

The commander said the task force had ensured that no child was recruited or used to fight terrorists ravaging the state.

He also mentioned that child protection units had been established in all sectors of the CJTF to ensure full compliance.

“Today, I add my voice to the call for all conflict parties to stop recruiting and using children. Millions of thanks to Ministry of Justice and UNICEF

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Ayodeji Adebayo and Akinlayo Kolawole

Anti-Corruption

Police detain journalist for exposing Ekiti APC candidate over alleged N3 billion fraud

The politician allegedly defrauded his victim on the pretext of helping him to acquire property around the Gwarinpa area of Abuja.

Percival Mabasa

Hot news Home top

Assailants gun down popular Philippine journalist known for criticising president

Percival Mabasa was inside his car, in front of his Las Pinas home, when he was killed by two assailants on a motorcycle.

Delta state assembly

States

Delta Assembly passes Transportation Data Management Bill

The bill seeks to provide for the collection and processing of data of persons commuting in public/commercial transport within, into and out of state.

Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT)

Education

Teachers’ Day: NUT urges governors to pay salary arrears

Many state governors are said to owe primary school teachers and secondary schools months of salary arrears.

Court room

Rights

Police arraign man over stabiliser theft in Osun

Other items stolen are a standing fan costing N10,000 with a window blind worth N25,000.

FCTA demolish 700 illegal structures built on swamps

Abuja

FCTA removes 700 illegal structures in flood-prone areas

The illegal structures erected in swampy areas were inhabited by over 1,000 petty traders, comprising young men, women, middle aged and the old.