2026 World Cup: ‘You’ve been trying to kill me for 23 years,’ Ronaldo tells journalists

Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo told journalists ahead of the FIFA 2026 World Cup round of 16 tie against Spain on Monday in Dallas, United States, that critics have allegedly been trying to kill him for the past 23 years.
The 41-year-old player condemned some journalists who have taken pleasure in casting a harsh spotlight on him, saying it had been the same since he was 18.
Stating that he would always “put his body and soul into trying to get our goals,” he decried journalists’ repeated questions of when he would retire from football.
“As I said before, I will stop when I choose, not when you choose; you always ask the same question. I don’t want to draw attention to this because it is less important,” he said on Sunday.
“You have been trying to kill me for the past 23 years, but you must have seen that it’s not worth it; it’s a waste of time, but you try and try and try and try and try. I’m so used to this.”
The former Manchester United, Juventus, and Real Madrid star admitted that he is not the player he once was, but he did not state when he will hang up his boots, although the ongoing World Cup will be his last for his country.
“I am not the player I used to be. I am not doing too badly,” the 41-year-old stated.
He noted that he scored two of five goals against Uzbekistan in the group phase and a penalty in their 2-1 win over Croatia in the last 32.
“I am not going to be more Cristiano Ronaldo or less because I win the World Cup. Age gives you maturity and experience to see how relative things can be. I even say thanks for the attacks I feel after I turned 40. The criticism is how you grow, so thank you for doing this.
“To speak to you, some of you, those who do not like us especially—I remember people’s faces very well. Listen, I am going to be honest: whatever happens tomorrow, Cristiano Ronaldo will leave with a clear conscience, not 100 per cent but 1,000 per cent because in life and football I gave everything,” the player added.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists
Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants.

Heading 3
NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules
According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

States
ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining
He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits.

States
Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site
Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site.

States
Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun
The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents.

Abuja
Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections
Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.






