Tuesday, August 18, 2026

74% of schools in Oyo lack access to basic sanitation services: UNICEF

The UNICEF consultant said only eight per cent of schools in Nigeria have girls’ toilets compartment with provisions for MHM.

• July 6, 2023
UNICEF
UNICEF

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) says 74 per cent of schools in Oyo State exist without access to basic sanitation services.

Emmanuel Orebiyi, the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Consultant in UNICEF’s Lagos office, disclosed this during a Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) Stakeholders’ Engagement in Ibadan.

The Oyo State Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (RUWASSA) organised the event with technical support from UNICEF to celebrate the 2023 Menstrual Hygiene Day in Oyo State.

In his presentation, Mr Orebiyi said 91.4 per cent of schools in Oyo State did not have disposable mechanisms for menstrual hygiene waste.

Mr Orebiyi, who sought the intervention of all stakeholders, including the government, said 0.4 per cent of schools in the state provided menstrual hygiene materials such as pad free.

The UNICEF consultant said only eight per cent of schools in Nigeria have girls’ toilets compartment with provisions for MHM.

“I, therefore, urge governments to invoke the ethical principles of beneficence and healthcare justice for the development of coordinated health policy by all levels of government,” he said.

Mr Orebiyi said such a coordinated health policy would support the development and implementation of effective MHM programmes.

Adegoke Ayodele, RUWASSA Director of Community Mobilisation and Hygiene Education, said the programme was to brainstorm and equip girls of menstrual age with the required knowledge.

Mr Ayodele said Nigerians should be discouraged from believing in wrong myths about menstruation, calling for the creation of awareness through the dissemination of appropriate information to the public.

Aderonke Akinola-Akinwole, a UNICEF representative, and Olabode Popoola, a RUWASSA director, highlighted the importance of the stakeholders’ engagement.

Ms Akinola-Akinwole called for all stakeholders’ collective effort to ensure effective MHM.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Oyebamiji, Disu, Adeleke

States

Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members

“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.