Dapo Abiodun orders banks, companies in Ogun to disobey Buhari or have CofO revoked

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun gave a directive to banks and other establishment operating in the state on Friday to accept old N1000 and N500 notes in defiance to the stance of the federal government.
He warned that commercial outlets who reject the old notes from customers would have their that the Certificate of Occupancy revoked.
The governor gave the warning in a series of tweets after riots ensued in some parts of the state.
Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that riots broke out in Mowe and Ibafo axes, along Lagos-Ibadan expressway on Friday over the raging cash fiasco.
Soldiers were then deployed to douse the riot.
Mr Abiodun reminded businesses in the state that the Supreme Court has ordered that the old naira notes remain legal tender to business transactions.
“The Ogun State Government will be revoking the Certificate of Occupancy, CofO of any corporation or store that rejects old Naira notes from members of the public in the State in exchange for goods and services.
“Commercial outlets are hereby reminded that there is an existing court order by the Supreme Court, the apex court in Nigeria, directing that old notes remain legal tender.” The statement read.
On February 15, the Supreme Court asked Nigerians to continue spending the old naira notes.
On Thursday, President Muhammadu Buhari said only the old N200 banknotes remain a legal tender until April 10 while N500 and N1,000 should be deposited in CBN designated centers across the country.
Mr Buhari’s failure to obey the Supreme Court ruling has elicited open confrontation by state governors including Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna, Umar Ganduje of Kano and Mohammed Badaru Abubakar, and others who urged citizens to discountenance CBN directives and continue to accept the old notes as legal tender.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
NDC hails Gov Adeleke, says Osun election triumph for democracy
The NDC said Mr Adeleke’s victory in Saturday’s governorship election was a triumph for democracy and the people’s will.

States
Army deploys new measures to boost security in Sokoto-Kebbi border communities
The Nigerian Army said it readjusted its security architecture to prevent further terrorist attacks on communities between Sokoto and Kebbi states.

States
Police warn against forceful takeover of Osun LG secretariats
Mr Etaifo said those planning to take over local government secretariats forcefully would be arrested and prosecuted.

States
Insecurity: Nasarawa communities seek FG’s urgent intervention
Residents said the security situation had become worrisome as a result of constant attacks, abductions and, in some cases, killings.

Kano
Kano cancer centre offers free radiotherapy to indigent patients
The Kano Cancer Treatment Centre has provided free radiotherapy treatment valued at over N12 million to 10 indigent cancer patients in Kano.

States
Ooni congratulates Gov Adeleke, urges unity in Osun
The monarch said the election’s conclusion should usher Osun into unity, reconciliation and purposeful governance for all communities.






