France backs Gulf countries, decries U.S-Israel’s strikes against Iran

France has thrown its weight behind countries along the Persian Gulf and in Jordan in the Middle East against Iran’s provocations.
France’s foreign minister, Jean-Noël Barrot, on Monday, while addressing a press conference following an emergency meeting at France’s foreign ministry in Paris, condemned Iran for dragging Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, and Jordan into an unwanted war.
“To allied countries that have been deliberately targeted by the missiles and drones of the [Iranian] Revolutionary Guards and dragged into a war they did not choose – Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman and Jordan – France expresses its full support and complete solidarity,” Mr Barrot said.
“Regarding more specifically our partners in the region who have been targeted, deliberately aimed at by the Iranian regime, we stand ready to contribute to their defence,” the foreign minister said.
Mr Barrot noted that France was “ready, in accordance with the agreements that bind it to its partners and with the principle of collective self-defence provided under international law, to take part in their defence”.
He, however, explained that France’s assistance would be “based on their request, in a proportionate manner and in accordance with the principle of collective self-defence”.
Warning against the lack of clear military goals, Mr Barrot faulted the United States and Israel for launching what he termed “unilateral strikes” against Iran.
“Everyone could have taken their responsibilities, because it is only by going before the Security Council that the use of force can acquire the necessary legitimacy,” Mr Barrot stated. “The indefinite prolongation of military operations without a precise goal carries the risk of a spiral that would drag Iran and the region into a long period of instability whose outcome would be very uncertain and would harm our interests.”
Calling for de-escalation, the foreign minister called on Iran to halt its ongoing offensive operations, as well as make diplomatic compromises that would restore peace and stability in the region.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.






