Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer

President Donald Trump’s administration imposed sanctions against the President of the International Criminal Court (ICC), Tomoko Akane, over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.
Also sanctioned was the ICC’s senior trial lawyer, Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal, following Mr Trump’s order, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in a statement on Tuesday.
Washington said the officials “have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction.”
Mr Rubio reiterated the Trump administration’s stance on the Hague-based tribunal, stating it “has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate.”
“We will not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty,” he said, noting that the designation aimed to address the threats posed by the ICC.
The ICC comprises 125 member states, including 33 African nations, and prosecutes the most serious crimes such as genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.
However, Mr Rubio maintained that the international tribunal has “repeatedly” attempted to exercise authority over U.S. nationals and other countries that have not ratified the Rome Statute. This international treaty authorises the ICC to prosecute crimes such as genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and crimes of aggression.
“This sets a dangerous precedent for all nations,” Mr Rubio added.
Mr Rubio vowed last month that the U.S. would launch “a whole-of-government response to systematically disable” the ICC’s ability to operate.
He maintained that the U.S. campaign to dismantle “threats posed by the ICC” will be “sweeping,” as Washington expects more countries to join the operation.
“The Trump Administration stands ready to take additional measures, if necessary, to systematically dismantle the ICC until it is incapable of threatening American sovereignty,” Mr Rubio maintained.
The latest designation raises the number of ICC officials sanctioned by the Trump administration to 13, including judges and the chief prosecutor. The officials were sanctioned with travel bans, asset freezes, and restrictions on services from U.S. companies.
Washington issued the sanctions in retaliation for a probe into U.S. personnel in Afghanistan. Its pressure on the tribunal grew after the ICC issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant in 2024 over alleged war crimes in Gaza.
Mr Trump’s criticism of the international court began in his first term in office, when he told the UN General Assembly that, for the U.S., the ICC had “no jurisdiction, no legitimacy, and no authority”.
Last month, Chad announced plans to withdraw from the ICC. It said the decision followed Washington’s call for member states to withdraw.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.

Lagos
Lagos warns car-spotters against obstructing roads, constituting nuisance
The Commissioner for Environment, Tokunbo Wahab, said car-spotting breaches motorists’ privacy and urged them to carry out their activity in car lots.






