Chad moves to withdraw from ICC over alleged bias against Africa

Chad, on Monday, announced plans to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC), making it the fifth country to do so in recent months.
The country’s foreign ministry said in a statement that it had begun the process and notified the United Nations secretary-general of its decision to pull out of the international tribunal.
It said the decision followed a review of the court’s operations since its establishment in 2002, including what it described as the tribunal’s disproportionate targeting of Africa for prosecution.
“This decision is the culmination of a thorough review of the functioning of the International Criminal Court since its establishment in 2002, as well as its performance, which has remained limited and inconsistent compared to the expectations that led to its creation,” the country said.
It added, “In this regard, the statistics published by the court itself are particularly revealing of the undeniable selectivity that has been established as a principle, whether this selectivity is intentional or unintentional.”
The ICC, based in The Hague, comprises 125 member states, including 33 African nations, and prosecutes the most serious crimes such as genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity. All European Union countries are members.
The West African States of Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger announced in September 2025 that they would withdraw from the ICC, saying they no longer recognise its jurisdiction.
Last Friday, Venezuela also announced plans to exit, citing “the court’s actions reflect a demonstrated geographical bias, which has disproportionately concentrated its work on African and Latin American countries, to the detriment of the Global South.”
Chad’s government said that since its establishment, the court had opened 13 investigations, nine of which concerned African countries, before eventually opening other cases in other regions, “but without significant concrete progress.”
The country also noted that the ICC is currently conducting only one preliminary examination, involving Nigeria. It added that six of the court’s seven detainees are linked to African cases.
The Chadian government said all of these instances explain why widespread criticism of the court’s activities “remains concentrated on the Global South in general and the African continent in particular, willing victims of a form of political manipulation of the ICC.”
It said the decision also followed a request by the United States, whose deputy secretary of state for African affairs had asked the Chadian authorities to review their membership of the ICC.
“The American side expressed its concerns about the functioning of this institution and called on Chad to review its accession to the Rome Statute,” a statement said.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio vowed last week that the U.S. would launch “a whole-of-government response to systematically disable” the ICC’s ability to operate.
Washington’s pressure on the tribunal grew after the ICC issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former defence minister Yoav Gallant in 2024.
In its statement, the Chadian authorities also called on the African Union to reassess its relationship with the “seemingly biased system” and take the necessary steps to strengthen the continent’s judicial institutions with a view to establishing a more credible and effective justice system.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Hot news Home top
Tinubu will win re-election in 2027 easily, Wike boasts
Mr Wike stated, ““2023 election was a tough one for him. Nobody knew what the government at the time was trying to do, and even governors were afraid.”

States
NBA urges Kaduna govt to extend interventions in judiciary to lower courts
Mr Aliyu commended the governor for providing 40 official vehicles to judges of the High Court, Shari’ah Court of Appeal, and Customary Court of Appeal.

Heading 1
Wike orders demolition of houses blocking drainage channels after flood overruns Abuja
Mr Wike stated, “We will demolish all those houses found on the water channels. Some of them are (owned by) senators. Some of them are (owned by) big men.

Heading 2
NDLEA intercepts 184.50 kilograms of cocaine, nabs cartel leader Afolabi Michael ‘KC Luxury’
The NDLEA said KC Luxury parades “as a social media influencer and businessman dealing in gold, jewellery, and luxury goods.”

Heading 5
Police apprehend two suspected members of Ogun ‘one chance’ syndicate
Mr Babaseyi stated, “Efforts are currently being intensified by operatives to track down and apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate.”

Lagos
APC chieftain seeks centralisation of party campaign structure
Mr Sewedo said that there were too many independent campaign groups under the APC.






