Man Utd finalise decision to sack Ole, interim coach to step in

Manchester United board have decided to fire Ole Gunnar Solskajer as manager after a humiliating 4-1 defeat away to Watford on Saturday.
Authoritative sports journalist Fabrizio Romano Sunday morning said “it’s over” for Ole at Manchester United.
“Manchester United board decision to sack Ole Gunnar Solskjær has been also approved by Glazer. It’s over. #MUFC,” Romano tweeted. “Official statement in place, mutual agreement reached to respect Ole and part ways.
“Fletcher-Carrick now ready as interim solution if no instant solution is found.”
An emergency virtual board meeting had been called by the Glazer family, the club’s proprietors, during the second half of the Saturday match and within the talks, which started at about 7:00 p.m., the group managing director, Richard Arnold, was instructed to negotiate the precise terms of Solskajer’s departure, People’s Gazette learnt.
It is believed that it would cost United about £7.5 million in severance pay to end his three-year tenure.
Solskjaer signed a new contract in August but his deal is understood to include a one-season compensation payment should he be sacked.
Club officials have also been told to speed up attempts to persuade Zinedine Zidane to take charge of the club.
Ole took over from Jose Mourinho in December 2018 and has since coached Man Utd team in 166 games – win 91, draws-36 loss -39.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
One dead, others injured in livestreamed Philippines school shooting
The student killed a male tenth-grader before taking his own life while livestreaming the attack with a body camera.

World
Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling
A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

Education
UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch
The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

Heading 5
Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer
The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Heading 2
Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital
The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.






